PDA

View Full Version : Baby lunging at me??? is this normal playing?

bamababies
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I have 2 babies, brother and sister, about 6 weeks old, I noticed them playing alot in the last couple days. but today when I was going to feed them the little girl lunged at me and then ran away, I assume she is playing but just wondering if that is normal behavior. They remind me of kittens the way they play and kinda growl at each other. She has actually done it twice since this morning when i was checking the blocks. They are climbing on tree branches I placed in there for them and seem happy. I know they have sharp nails and I do not want to get scratched up, can I trim their nail?:shakehead

Nancy in New York
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I have 2 babies, brother and sister, about 6 weeks old, I noticed them playing alot in the last couple days. but today when I was going to feed them the little girl lunged at me and then ran away, I assume she is playing but just wondering if that is normal behavior. They remind me of kittens the way they play and kinda growl at each other. She has actually done it twice since this morning when i was checking the blocks. They are climbing on tree branches I placed in there for them and seem happy. I know they have sharp nails and I do not want to get scratched up, can I trim their nail?:shakehead

NO do not trim their nails. That would be disaster for them. Put on some gloves and a sweat shirt. They need to learn to crawl etc. and the only way they learn that is by having sharp nails. If they climb enough on the branches etc. that will slowly wear them down so they aren't so razor sharp. Not sure you want a 6 week old climbing all that much though, and don't let him climb too high, make sure the branch is kind of low.

When the little ones have just opened their eyes, and shortly after,they develop a fear of anything moving. You can keep her more peaceful if you talk softly before opening the cage, and if you let her smell your hand. Make a fist so she doesn't bite the fingers and let her smell...then you can slowly start petting and reassuring them. Are they still taking formula?

bamababies
11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes they are still on formula, I will get some gloves. I do not have the branch but 6 inches from bottom I was just trying to give them something to try out. thank you for your help. I will NOT trim their nail as i plan to release them when they get old enough.

Nancy in New York
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Yes they are still on formula, I will get some gloves. I do not have the branch but 6 inches from bottom I was just trying to give them something to try out. thank you for your help. I will NOT trim their nail as i plan to release them when they get old enough.

Perfect!!!!!! Sounds great. You know what works good for me, those stretchy gloves that look like little girl gloves. They aren't thick at all, and yet they really help with the nails, and they are very flexible. Good time of the year to find gloves....at least up here in New York....:shakehead :D
If you can't find them, I will mail you a pair, just give me your address.:thumbsup

Skul
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
The lunging is normal defensive behaviour. That's a good thing because you plan on release.

RStout
11-08-2012, 06:01 PM
The lunging is normal defensive behaviour. That's a good thing because you plan on release.

Agreed. My Misty does the same thing if I wake her up. If she's awake and wants me/food/out/play she's all purrs and coos. If I wake her up she's all barks and lunges until fully alert.

Nemehoto
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Well my two babies...(15 weeks old I have two siblings male and female I raised from tiny pinkies.) not that I can call them babies very much anymore at ~350 and ~400 grams respectively... used to do that when they were younger when everything startled them. They are much calmer at 15 weeks than they were at 6-7 weeks. At the age yours are are at they are still familiarizing themselves with having vision. Learning what can move and be safe and what is still and safe. From 5 to about 7 weeks my little ones were very easily startled and defensive.

They haven't lunged aggressively for several weeks other than when they are attacking the stuffy in play or when they are eating nuts now, and I respect their space and I don't disturb them until they are finished.

Now if I could just get them to play a little less roughly my hands would be grateful.