PDA

View Full Version : grey squirrel epilepsi

popesickel
04-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a grey that I started feeding at 5 days old and is now 5 years old. I feed him using 3 different feeding trays with the following: (1) has almonds,peanuts and pecans. (2) has white sunflower seeds. (3) has fresh corn cob chunks,corrots and cucumber chunks. I ocasionally give her a treat of watermellon, which she absolutely loves! My problem is that approx 6 mos ago, she had what seemed to be an epilepsi fit or seisure, where she started crying loud while going in circles on her shelf, then loosing all control and falling to the bottom of the cage(bottom filled with shreded paper). 2 nights ago, she did it again. (Her cage is approx 18" dp, 30" wide and 5' tall, and on weekends,she generally runs around on my screened in patio, as well as some evenings after work. This way, she has freedom AND ISN'T ALWAYS CAGED!)
Is there something in the diet that may be causing this problem or is it a nature thing. What can I do because I don't want her to have one of these seisures while on the concrete patio ! DESPERATE

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Is there something in the diet that may be causing this problem DESPERATE

yes

Pop, you should be feeding her more vegetables, and lot less nuts. Nuts would be considered treats for squirrels in captivity. Also squirrels are very prone to calcium deficiency, which can cause those fits.

Here's a good diet to change her to.

Lots of kale, some other fresh green vegs. Squash, okra, sweet peas in the shell, snow peas, apple, a little grapes, and just a little fresh corn and sweet potatoe every now and then.

Rodent blocks - Kaytee Fortidiet (not Fiesta) is complete - should be available all the time.

Prime Calcium is a excellent source of Calcium/amino acids/D3 etc and should be sprinkled over her fresh vegs every other day. I get it at Dr. Fosters and Smith online.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6166&Ntt=prime&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Also I make a squirrel nut ball recipe by grinding up Kaytee Fortidiet, Primate protein blocks, pecans, baby rice cereal, and a little apple sauce - just enough to make it wet enough so you can roll it in little balls.
To that I add the Prime, liquid vit E, Vit C powder, wheat germ, Lecithin, and a little salt with iodine.

For right now and most important. Get some Prime Calcium in her ASAP. Put a little pinch on all of her favorite food, start out slow. There's nothing in Prime that will upset her stomach and it has enzymes and amino acids to aid digestion that she needs too.

....and get her off of that almost all nut/seed diet. ;)

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
BTW I just noticed you're in Miami. Simbad's Birds on Bird Rd carries Prime and so should the Aviary in Perrine in US 1.

BuckeyeSqrl
04-05-2006, 01:57 PM
She probably has metabolic bone disease. She is immediate need of medical attention and vitamin supplements.

Clifford and Daisy's dad has good diet suggestions. Please follow them. She is in danger.

My thoughts are with you.