PDA

View Full Version : My wild babies are starting to trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!

precious
10-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Hi....i love this site....just wanted to see if i could get some info...i feed all the squirrels in my backyard.....about 10 of them will come to my hand....the rest know me when i call them and will come close but not to me.......there is this one baby i named little one that is sooo tiny and so adorable...not sure if its a boy or a girl....he is starting to come come very close but not to my hand....i watch him every night and he has been going into different nests and getting kicked out....but last night i think he went into CC's nest,(the biggest squirrel in the yard,lol)and cc was already in there...i waited and saw no fighting....would cc let him in???is that normal....i want to hang some nesting boxes but they are so expensive....any advice??

island rehabber
10-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Glad you found us! Be careful when hand feeding squirrels: they don't see well right in front of their faces because their eyes are on the sides of their heads so, often, they will miss the nut and get your fingertip instead. I like to throw the nut just about a foot away from the squirrel, even the ones I raised and released.

Good outdoor nest boxes ARE expensive, but worth the price. I love the Coveside boxes and have some that are 5 years old....well-used and out in the rain and snow all the time. That $45 seemed steep, but think about it, that's only $9 per year. :D

Pip
10-31-2012, 09:14 AM
I went to the Coveside boxes web site and from what I could see their houses are for birds!
Which ones do you get for squirrels? The entrance hole needs to fit a squirrel and do your boxes have a shelf inside? :grouphug :thankyou

island rehabber
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
I went to the Coveside boxes web site and from what I could see their houses are for birds!
Which ones do you get for squirrels? The entrance hole needs to fit a squirrel and do your boxes have a shelf inside? :grouphug :thankyou

There's a column on the left hand side, and if you scroll down you WILL see "Squirrel Houses". :)

Cleo_13
10-31-2012, 01:51 PM
How do you do it? It took me years to gain the trust of just one squirrel to the point where she would come up to me, and I still don't know how I did it. Now that she is gone, I have to start almost all over again because even the one that comes to my porch runs when he sees me.

Garden71
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Glad you found us! Be careful when hand feeding squirrels: they don't see well right in front of their faces because their eyes are on the sides of their heads so, often, they will miss the nut and get your fingertip instead.

That is exactly what my wild Brownie did to me today and he wasn't giving up my finger for :censored . I even dropped a few and he still wanted my finger:eek: .

precious
11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I started feeding the squirrels two years ago....i started by just leaving peanuts and watching thru my window.....after they knew there was food there, i would go outside and stand about 20 ft away and just talk to them softly when they would come get a nut...it took a while and they would run at first but after a week or so they seemed to accept me...then i took the nuts away and when they would come to the spot that the nuts were i would talk to them softly and throw the peanut...at first they were not having any of it....lol...but after another week or so i would throw the peanut and they would take it and run....eventually i started throwing the peanuts closer and closer to me always talking softly when they would come.....it took a couple months but soon i had a few that would be on my porch waiting for me to open the door...lol.....precious was my baby....i loved her so much....she started coming as a baby but i lost her to the road 2 weeks ago....i am still missing her....now i sit in my backyard and maybe 5 or 6 come right to my hand and one squirrel in named boyfriend will climb up my leg....the rest will come right to my foot but not to my hand....i love them so much....