PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

Roe
10-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi, everyone-

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My husband & I live in the Santa Cruz mountains in northern California. We've been here for a little over 18 years and have found several baby squirrels over the years. Some we have rehabbed, others we've taken to a wildlife center.

I've learned so much from this site & want to thank you all for all of your advice. My latest little girl, Ro, was brought to me by a co-worker. She was about a week old, eyes closed, ears pinned back. Her rehabilitation has gone very smoothly and she's a healthy, happy girl.

Ro looks like a Fox squirrel. She's 13 weeks old now and from what I've read here, I will overwinter her. My biggest concern is that she's a single. I would love to find another female rehabbed squirrel around her age that needs overwintering as well, so she can have some squirrel companionship & then they could be released together in the spring.

Can someone please advise me as to whether that's a good idea or not? I have no problem giving her lots of playtime, exercise & stimulation, but I just think she'd be happier with another squirrel to play and learn with.

I also have a question about the Mazuri monkey chow vs. rodent pellets. Mazuri's website lists monkey crunch #5M29, rodent pellets #5663, rodent breeder pellets 6F #5M30. Which one of these is most appropriate to feed her in addition to her regular diet? She's weaned herself from her FV, is eating HHB, fresh vegetables, acorns, a piece of fruit every day or so, and one or two almonds or hazelnuts a day.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice! :)

SammysMom
10-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Welcome! If she is eating HHB's she does not need any other rodent food. They are the complete package!:thumbsup
I will leave it to others on the squirrel friend topic.:grouphug

CritterMom
10-25-2012, 06:52 PM
I feed HHBs plus a commercial rodent food - I have a big boy squirrel and he needs the chow. I have done some research.

Mazuri is an okay food. The problem with Mazuri is that the higher quality of their rat blocks, the 5663, is VERY high in protein - more than an adult squirrel needs. The 6F breeder is lower in protein but also not of the highest quality. ought at a food store, the 6F is about $23 for 50 pounds; the 5663 is about $20 for 25 pounds. I feed 6F to my outdoor squirrels.

My preference is Harlan Teklad lab blocks. Go to www.thecraftyrat.com, click where it says "bulk rate" and look for the Harlan Teklad 2014. This is a MUCH higher quality food; it is vegetarian, and is quite hard - good for those teeth.

Roe
10-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info! Just ordered some Harlan. I had read somewhere that HHB's were meant as supplements to their regular diet.

What about avocado? I had been feeding her some and she loves it, but then I ran across the ASPCA site where it said they can cause respiratory problems.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx

Any thoughts?

Squirrel Girls Mom
10-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the info! Just ordered some Harlan. I had read somewhere that HHB's were meant as supplements to their regular diet.

What about avocado? I had been feeding her some and she loves it, but then I ran across the ASPCA site where it said they can cause respiratory problems.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx

Any thoughts?

Well, I know the peeling and pit are toxic to squirrels, but the avocado itself hasn't caused any problems with my squirrels, ever. Mine eat avocado almost every day. Rule at my house is: If you eat all your HHB's and veggies, you get avocado and fruit in the evening.

Country Heart
11-07-2012, 12:29 AM
My little guys like avocado too.

Welcome neighbor! :wave123

Jackie in Tampa
11-07-2012, 06:41 AM
:Welcome :wave123
I have been feeding HHbs and veggies daily for years, one of the first to use HHB as a staple... would never change what I am doing, very happy with the results! I have several older NRs.
Welcome to TSB...:wave123