PDA

View Full Version : When to release?

harehelper81
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I am needing more information about when is a good time to release my squirrel girl. She is 14 weeks now, obviously completely weaned and eating great. (Boy can she ever eat! LOL) Anyway, I know about moving her to the large outdoor cage and doing the whole gradual release thing, but what I am worried about is the cold temps. She has been in the house since she was a pinkie back in July, and I have been taking her on little outings to play outside during the day, and she loves it.
Our nights here (Illinois) are running in the low 40s and back up to about the 60s during the day. That seems really cold to me for a squirrel who is used to a steady temp of about 70, you know? Of course I have no problem with making sure she has plenty of food through the winter since she hasn't been storing any up.
Plus the fact that she still seems very dependent on me, she follows me everywhere and mainly wants to hang out on my shoulder/leg. She will climb off of me and run around on the furniture if I sit down and get "boring" LOL, but as soon as I move she comes flying across the room and is running back up my leg. Is she going to be broken hearted if I move her outside? I would really, really appreciate some advice from more experienced squirrel raisers.

Saverywood
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Sounds like you care so very much. Since you know the basics of a larger release cage outdoors, (please look at other posts) complete with a nest box inside, nesting materials to insulate her nest, you can put the cage up high off the ground & be sure to make a squirrel entrance or "portal" for her to come & go as she gets used to outside sounds & life. You can put her cage on your porch to shelter her against the first frosts & rain, etc. When you do open the portal, plan to spend most of the day outside with her to reassure her & help if she needs you. Then over the next few days spend at least an hour around mealtimes outside to make sure the "wild" squirrels aren't harrassing her or keeping her from food. If all does not go good for your little girl then put her back inside her cage & close the portal for a few more days then repeat the entire process. Hope that helps. Remember just because you release them does not mean you never see them again or that you are finished...it is only the beginning. She will need you to put food & water out for her; reassure her & if needed, bring her back inside her cage. She will need food all winter from you & water too!

harehelper81
10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks so much! I am incredibly nervous about moving her outside, and especially about releasing her. There are just soo many predators out here, hawks, owls, coyotes etc. that I am terrified something will get her. Compounding that worry is the fact that she doesn't seem at all scared of my dogs, they walk past her indoor cage and she doesn't even seem to be fazed by them.

RockyRocko
10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm in Iowa, same weather and personally think it is best to over winter! I just think it gives them a better chance of surviving in the wild.

kastillo
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
I would be very concerned about release if she has lost her fear of natural predators. Your dogs may not want to harm her, but you don't want to give her the idea that all dogs or cats etc... are okay. They need that fear instinct for survival. Squirrels and pets should be kept separate to preserve this natural fear and insure their survival in the wild.

harehelper81
10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I would be very concerned about release if she has lost her fear of natural predators. Your dogs may not want to harm her, but you don't want to give her the idea that all dogs or cats etc... are okay. They need that fear instinct for survival. Squirrels and pets should be kept separate to preserve this natural fear and insure their survival in the wild.

Yes, that is one of the biggest things I worry about. But would it be possible for her to be happy in captivity? I don't want to keep her in a cage the rest of her life if she won't be content, after all she is a wild animal.

kastillo
10-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Is it possible to keep the dog away from the area she will be released in? It's best to give a healthy squirrel a chance at a wild life. It should be their decision if they want to stay. I would just keep the dog inside or away from the area the squirrel will be released in. Even some of the sweetest house pets can be dangerous when their natural instincts kick in. Then you are left heart broken from something that could've been prevented. I do wish you the best. I've just read some horrible stories on here of pets, even being kept in the other room, somehow got into the squirrel room, broke into the cage, and killed most of the babies. Just be careful, but do give her a chance to be wild.

Nancy in New York
10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Have you looked into the possibility of someone overwintering her for you, and then releasing?
She definitely needs to be away from the dogs.....they just don't mix....:shakehead