PDA

View Full Version : Need to find young squirrel rehab home in FL

destini22
10-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Hello, a few months ago I was given a 5-6 week old baby squirrel that had come up to an elderly couple after it had fallen from the nest. The couple had trapped the mother and relocated her so we believe that this baby had fallen from the nest and was looking for food. I took it in and raised it with as little human contact as possible hoping to bring it back and release it back. I began to notice it had very little stabilitiy and would fall off of things and such. (Has anyone had this problem?) Anyway I was worried about releasing it so I decided to keep it. I bought a 4 foot multi level cage so it could run and climb hoping maybe it just needed to build up the climbing muscles and its doing great so far. I have it on a rodent diet supplimented with freash fruits and veggies. Unfortuatlly I am getting ready to move into my own place soon and my baby is very messy and wont be able to come with me :( I was wondering if anyone could rehab him to be released or possibly make him there pet. I want an experienced person not someone who just thinks hes cool. Hope someone can help!

kastillo
10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Where are you at in Florida?

djarenspace9
10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Please let me know where in FL you are.

:Welcome

destini22
10-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Im located in Central FL just outside of Oviedo.

destini22
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
If thats too far out of the way for anyone, any advice on how (if this is possible) to properly release him would be great. I have a portable outdoor hutch that I could set up at the base of a tree to help him become accustomed as well. (Set away from people and cats.)

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I am in Avalon I can get the baby to DJ if you like, she is very good with squirrels, she took one of mine and has done wonders with her.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
my daughter lives in Oveido right near the down town where all the streets come together.
I can come pick him up tomorrow if you like.
I had 2 girls who I had trouble releasing because my wilds would not accept them, Dja has a very tranquil back yard and wonderful set up in the Sanford area.
One of mine is there happy in her trees , the other is back with me, she wants no part of outside .

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
try to send you a PM to you and DJ and not getting any where

djarenspace9
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I would be happy to take him in and prepare him for release.
If it's not urgent I'd rather wait until the weekend.
I have a busy day planned tomorrow and would rather have more time to get him settled.
Would Saturday be ok for you?

djarenspace9
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
I wanted to also mention that he will benefit from spending time with other squirrels before he is released. I have other juveniles learning the ropes, first on my screened porch and then outdoors. He would start by living next to them and ideally with at least one more squirrel to learn squirrelly protocols before heading out into the big world. :thumbsup

What is your boys name and how old is he now?

destini22
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not exactly sure how old he is or if hes a boy haha. Im going to estimate a few months. I have work this weekend but we can work something out. I dont mind releasing him myself, hes very active and I live in the perfect location to do so. I'm just not sure what way would be best. He can be quite nippy I call him tree squir(original I know) but I planned on putting him in the outdoor pen until he was comfortable then slowly opening it up during the day so he could wander and if he comes back at night locking him in. I do hate to see him go but he just doesnt belong indoors in my opinon.

Squirrelis
10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
destini22 please let Djar rehab the squirrel:D She is awesome with these little fuzzers:Love_Icon He / she can have a squirrely brother or sister to learn the squirrel ropes with and not be alone. Your title to your post says "need to find young squirrel rehab home" you for sure have found a great:) one with Djar -
It's harder for them( squirrels) if they are raised alone- you sound like an animal lover:Love_Icon so I know you'll make the right decision for the squirrely-
Just my 2 cents:D

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-16-2012, 05:56 AM
:goodpost true love is letting go, I did it and I can go to DJ's and visit my little ZuZu ...she is happier so I am happier!!
destini22 please let Djar rehab the squirrel:D She is awesome with these little fuzzers:Love_Icon He / she can have a squirrely brother or sister to learn the squirrel ropes with and not be alone. Your title to your post says "need to find young squirrel rehab home" you for sure have found a great:) one with Djar -
It's harder for them( squirrels) if they are raised alone- you sound like an animal lover:Love_Icon so I know you'll make the right decision for the squirrely-
Just my 2 cents:D

djarenspace9
10-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Awwww you guys are too sweet!
I did get a chance to talk to Destini today and she will be bringing her
boy over this weekend to join in the squirrely fun! :thumbsup

orquid009
10-17-2012, 10:29 PM
I brought my three baby girls to Dj and I have to say, it was sad for me to make the decision but as soon as I met her and saw how happy her squirrels are and the beautiful backyard, I felt peace. She is wonderful!:thankyou

Saverywood
10-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi Destini22 - Sounds like you want the best for you little squirrel, thanks for caring! :) Please let her go to an experienced rehabber. There is so much time & responsibility that goes along with a "release" and it is not the end but only the beginning. She will still need daily care, it's just harder now because she is outside, frightened, and it is getting colder, rain is coming and she doesn't have a food storage yet. Please take the offer from the experienced rehabber who not only has the experience but also the time to spend outside with her. Wild squirrels can be so mean to inexperienced freshely released squirrels; they can be brutal and I know you don't want that for your little friend. It's hard to let go, but love :Love_Icon does what is best.