PDA

View Full Version : I think I am overfeeding??

daniellenc
10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Miranda and Niko each get an HHB at 6:30 am, greens around 10-11, another HHB around 4, and greens when those are done. Greens are usually spring mix and sugar snap peas because despite all the broccoli, peppers, and other stuff I have tried they don't touch them....at all very frustrating. I have steamed it, chopped smaller, and given whole but they are not interested. They also get my garden herbs every few days mixed in which they love and had their first strawberry last night!! I give a nut before bed and have started giving shelled unsalted nuts instead of the shelled ones. I also put fresh branches in daily to chew and destroy with any leaves that are on them.

However, Niko is kinda scrawny next to his chubby sister so I have been putting extra HHB's lately in hopes to fatten his tush up. He's not so skinny I am overly worried- no ribs or hips showing for sure and has a nice coat and bushy tail, but he reminds me of a male puppy gawky stage where they look longer and lanky next to their fat female siblings. Are males usually latter to chub up or should I be worried??

Now last night I read a post where SSM's mom said he get 2 HHB's a day and a bowl of greens with an occasional nut and this made me think I am over feeding possibly. But neither are fat and Niko needs a few extra grams. So is my diet adequate, too much, too little since their only 13 weeks??

sadie7684
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I can only speak from my limited experience since these are my first squirrels too. They are almost 3 months old. Jonah eats pretty much anything and he is noticeably larger then his sister Ophelia. They have 20-40 cc's of Fv in the morning and at night, an HHB mid morning, veggies for lunch and another HHB in the late afternoon which they don't always eat. A few times a week, I give them nuts or a small piece of fruit.

I haven't weighed them in a little over a week or so but they were about 420 grams give or take a few. They don't seem to be over/underweight and they are both very active.

Hope that helps a little bit! :)

stosh2010
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
......... So is my diet adequate, too much, too little since their only 13 weeks??
Are they getting any Fox Valley formula...If they will take it--it's full of Good Stuff-and ensures their daily calcium needs.

daniellenc
10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Oh Stosh I wish they were. They both stopped at 11 and a half weeks and I tried twice a day till about a week ago just in case- even leaving bowls of it in, but no takers. Niko has always been smaller than Miranda and tends to do more shredding of food than she does. I would love to get a look at his teeth but honestly I don't even know what teeth that are too long would look like and with the amount of oak and maple branches they burn through I assume his teeth are probably fine.

stosh2010
10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh Stosh I wish they were. They both stopped at 11 and a half weeks and I tried twice a day till about a week ago just in case- even leaving bowls of it in, but no takers. Niko has always been smaller than Miranda and tends to do more shredding of food than she does. I would love to get a look at his teeth but honestly I don't even know what teeth that are too long would look like and with the amount of oak and maple branches they burn through I assume his teeth are probably fine.
When CRUISER's teeth got too long, he had trouble swallowing. He would take a bite--then tilt his head back, to get the food to the back of his mouth. he resembled a Pelican trying to swallow a fish.Here is a photo of the Dude with his head back.
When the teeth are too long, they can actually puncture the roof of the mouth ( upper pallette) and cause a SERIOUS infection. That is a dangerous situation.

pappy1264
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Nope you are not overfeeding. Your babies are still growing, Sammy (Sammys mom's boy) is older. They will need less food as they get older, as it is not going into their bodies growing (course, there are some who will eat as much as you give them...and they will continue to grow! lol) Get some mushrooms, cucumbers, cherry tomotoes, avocado, and sweet potato into that mix!!!

stosh2010
10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I was sgiving my boys mushrooms several times a week, and then a member reminded me about the
NUTRITION CHART RATIO..

The ratio to shoot for is 2 to 1

The "Evil"
Corn, Dried Yellow* 25:344 1:13
Corn, Raw* 2:89 1:44
Mushrooms 3:86 or 1:28
calcium to phosphorus
Try to achieve the 2:1 balance

NOW I use as a tasty treat ONCE a week !

pappy1264
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
True, but you have to step back and look at everything you feed day to day for the 2 to 1 ratio. If you feed a good, balanced daily meal, it will balance out. Mushrooms have vitamin D, which is needed for calcium uptake.

daniellenc
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Mine hated mushrooms, lol it's pretty much greens, sugar snap peas, HHB's, nightly nut, and maybe nibbles of other veggies. Just wanted to make sure they weren't eating too much. And he doesn't tilt to swallow just lots of shredding and was wondering if that was a sign of too long teeth??