PDA

View Full Version : Can squirrels get salmonilla?

DubShack
02-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I know you guys are going to think I'm terrible for doing this, I feel horrible right now...

Last week, for some reason I got it into my head that I was gonna give the guys a "special treat..." Pecans dipped in peanut butter. I dunno where the idea came from, but I gave it a shot... Stuart was the first, he saw the nut and took a bite of the peanut butter.... Then started licking it like he was in seventh heaven. I've given out probably six or seven to three different squirrels in the last two weeks.

My wife came home this morning, picked up the bottle and read off the serial numbers and started swearing and insisting that I go to the emergency room. (I'm really sick right now, I've got some kind of major head cold) When she told me I got salmonilla from the peanut butter, I told her I wasn't eating it, I'd gotten it for the squirrels! Then she started yelling at me for buying a whole bottle of peanut butter just for squirrels...

But can they actually get that? The weather hasn't been great lately so squirrel sightings have been sparse, but I've seen Stuart and Scabbers... They seem to be doing ok...

(we threw away the peanut butter btw)

Mars
02-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Okay this what a quick search turned up.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri
The Cook County Department of Public Health today confirmed in a news release that five cases have been confirmed in Illinois, including one this week in suburban Cook County. Further details of those cases were not released.
Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection, according to the release. The particular strain in the peanut butter outbreak may cause urinary tract infections without diarrhea.

The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment. In some persons the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized

A search of my books turned up no mention of reported cases of salmonilla poisoning in squirrels. That does not mean it does not or could not happen. The symptoms in squirrels would be similiar to the ones mentioned above. I'd say if they are still okay after 72 hours it's a very good chance the peanut butter you had was not tainted.

Keep us posted. And don't beat yourself up over this. Under normal circumstances a little peanut butter should only upset your wife. :D

TexanSquirrel
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
I think it could happen, but I also think that because their squirrels are exposed to it in the wild because they come into contact with all sorts of poopies that they have built up an immunity to it. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I think if they were going to get it they would have gotten it from touching bird poo or eating a lizard or something.

Alaskan Squirrel Cam
02-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I looked at the large can of peanut butter, that is almost empty that I've been eating myself and feeding the squirrels, it's got the number on the can that they wanted us to turn it. Well, it's a little late, and I haven't been sick so I guess, I got lucky. I'm not going to go ahead and finish the can, just in case.

bob

http://www.thesquirrelcam.com

Gabe
02-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Hi Bob, I'm with you. I'm a peanutbutter addict and have eaten a good portion of mine without ill results. Now, I keep looking at the jar and thinking should I or shouldn"t I finish eating it. I think it's best to give it a toss.

Bobo's Mom
02-16-2007, 06:33 AM
I too had the peanut butter with the 2111 codes. We've had no major problems but we have had colds on/off for months now. I bought the peanut butter some time ago. Luckily Bojangles won't touch the stuff.

Squirrelly
02-16-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm a peanut butter lover myself..and we have 3 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter in our home...2 of which are almost empty; 1 is unopened. They all begin with the 2111 code, so to be safe we're going to toss them. They've found that it applies to Peter Pan and Great Value (Walmart's brand) only. (Wonder if that could change?)

Critter_Queen
02-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I would imagine that, yes, that can get salmonella poisoning. Mice get it. Hopefully everything will be ok none-the-less. I was told that mice (referring to the pet kind) could get it from husbandry practices. (I took that to mean unclean caging, food, etc).

I hope everyone is OK! Thank God I don't eat much peanut butter!

And we don't think you're terrible...squirrels LOVE peanut butter. They just can't have very much of it very often. :)

Gabe
02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm a peanut butter lover myself..and we have 3 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter in our home...2 of which are almost empty; 1 is unopened. They all begin with the 2111 code, so to be safe we're going to toss them. They've found that it applies to Peter Pan and Great Value (Walmart's brand) only. (Wonder if that could change?)

The reason that Walmart's brand is affected is because Peter Pan makes that for them and packages it with Walmart's label. Many of our generic foods are national brands with generic labels attached. So, when you are buying the Walmart brand that is being recalled also, you are actually buying Peter Pan with a different label.

Mrs. Jack
02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Dub, we trust that the food we buy is safe. what else can we do? You meant no harm to the squirrels, and they sound like they are okay. and you came on here and raised the worry despite how badly you're feeling about it. You're a good guy.

and your avatar is awesome. :D