PDA

View Full Version : Please pray - Hansel is missing

Scooterzmom
10-04-2012, 06:07 PM
My big beautiful boy Hansel is missing tonite. :Cry He normally comes to the window for his dinner, never strays beyond the yeard except jusssst on the other side of the creek and that is only to bury nuts there... and this afternoon, no sign of him, at all.

It was a lovely warm day here, the fuzzers were all out in droves but... no sign of my beautiful boy. The damn neighbor's cat has been roaming lately and I've had to chase him a few times. :soapbox Now I'm sick with worry. Checked his RC and nest box, not there... the nuts I left for him in there are still there.

I fear the worse... my baby is missing and it feels terrible.

pappy1264
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Praying he is just off having fun and lost track of time. I know all too well how scary it is.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-04-2012, 06:36 PM
tinfoil tinfoil
YO Han-sell!!!"
Come on home now before it gets too dark and so Mom can sleep tonight!!"

Scooterzmom
10-04-2012, 07:20 PM
It's pitch black outside now and still no sign of him... not out there, not in his cage. I just have this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I can't stand it. :( I wish I wasn't such a suck but darnit! that baby's been so very special, from the start... extra-affectionate and with him coming and going, indoors by night and out by day... he's my little wild pet - so to speak. Feels really empty in here tonite.

pappy1264
10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Praying very hard, I can understand the feelings, have felt them before (and it does suck!) Hansel yu better be home first thing in the morning so mom can stop being sick with worry.

treeman
10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
STRAY CATS!!!! :soapbox Tell your n'bor that if they truly love their cat they'll keep it inside because it might DISAPPEAR!!! :devil

CrazySquirrelLady
10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
:grouphug Lord hear our prayer and watch over Hansel and keep him safe. Amen

Scooterzmom
10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Thank you guys. I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonite... :( I'm holding his little blanket right now and it smells so sweet... that wonderful nutty furry smell, you know... I wish I could bottle that scent. :Love_Icon

rainrshine
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
STRAY CATS!!!! :soapbox Tell your n'bor that if they truly love their cat they'll keep it inside because it might DISAPPEAR!!! :devil

I read and fully believe that the domesticated cats roaming free outside are worse than feral cats because they kill for sport, not necessarily for survival. Hopefully Hansel just hooked up with the lady friend and lost track of time. Probably will be standing at the door in the morning begging for food!

2ndHandRanchRescue
10-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm sure he's hunkered in a sweet spot for the night and he's going to come running to you in the morning. Or a big adventure. My guys will go away for days and then BAM they are all at the feeder and begging for the nuts in my pocket - I always wonder where they go???? Hansel - quit making your mum worry!!!!!

Rhapsody
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
(((HUGS))) --Praying and sending Safe Vibes for your little one. :Love_Icon

Foamy the squirrel
10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug I hope ur squirrely come home :grouphug

Pip
10-04-2012, 09:32 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon Hansel :Love_Icon :grouphug

pappy1264
10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Praying he comes home this morning, hungry but no worse for the wear.

newsquirrelmommy
10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
:grouphug Come home Hansel, mommy misses you:grouphug

newsquirrelmommy
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Any updates on Hansel???? Hoping that he came home:grouphug

Scooterzmom
10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Still no news of Hansel. It's a windy day out there, warm at least, but tonite and tomorrow the temps are supposed to dip real bad and get down to near freezing in Montreal. Probably freezing here. I'm so worried. On the cold nights he was sleeping indoors :(

I think Hami knows something is wrong. He keeps going to Hansel's cage but when normally he tries to steal the nuts from there today he has made no such attempt and he's particularly quiet... :shakehead

Scooterzmom
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Once again the day's gone by and still no sign of my sweet boy Hansel.
Baby I miss you, so much. :Cry

SammysMom
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Oh SM every time I see this this thread I pray. I do really hope he comes home. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Pip
10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
:grouphug tinfoil :Love_Icon HANSEL :Love_Icon :grouphug

shellyb1018
10-06-2012, 06:49 AM
:grouphug Come Home Hansel :grouphug

pappy1264
10-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Praying so very hard Hansel will come home this morning. God, please guide Hansel back to his loving mom, who is filled with worry and fear. My heart hurts knowing the emotions you are feeling. Hansel come home please.

skarabrae
10-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Wilma and Fred just came home after THREE WHOLE DAYS of me being sick with worry. They always come for breakfast AND dinner and were just gone one day.

Well, they're back and totally fine. Who the h-e-double hockeysticks knows where they were. :dono

Hopefully it will be the same case with Hansel. ((HUGS))

Foamy the squirrel
10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
any news yet :grouphug :grouphug

mudmaiden
10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
One of mine was gone for 6 months and came back just like she never left...Praying for your baby to come home safe and sound, but never give up hope!!!!:grouphug

Foamy the squirrel
10-06-2012, 01:51 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

pappy1264
10-06-2012, 05:51 PM
And remember (the first time) Bean was gone a month and two days...no sign whatsover of her in that time. I really gave up hope. But then one day, out of nowhere, there she was. (And you know she has given me more heart attacks since then.) I pray he is off stashing and being a squirrel and will soon show up, like nothing has happened, wondering where his breakfast is. Praying hard, know how horrible this is.

Kebtaz
10-06-2012, 08:32 PM
praying for you and Hansel!!!:grouphug

jbtartell
10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
You both are in my prayers too:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

rainrshine
10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Any word on Hansel?

pappy1264
10-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Praying sweet Hansel will come home today.

Scooterzmom
10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Praying sweet Hansel will come home today.
Still no sight of my baby. Thank you for the words of encouragement guys... at least here I know people don't think me crazy for worrying and being heartbroken over a little squirrel.

I'm praying for Nut also, pappy. I can surely sympathize with what you're going through :grouphug I walk around crying all the time, wanting to run out there - I don't know where - in hopes I'd catch a glimpse of him.

pappy1264
10-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, think about Bean...remember how I was so sure she was gone? A month and two days, nothing, no sign, no food touched. and then there she was. I pray your boy is just off being a squirrel and will soon be home.

missPixy
10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
to me this is the worst part about rehabbing squirrels and then having the property to soft-release them in your yard~~ when their routine changes, it causes so much worry and sadness.

virginia_arce2280
10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I know that sick feeling now as I'm experiencing it as well. my 13 week old got loose yesterday and no sign of her. My daughters have the responsibility of taking the cats out on walks supervised and then back in their crates they go until the baby is found, because they are definitely hunters!
I like cats and mine are outdoors, but I do get on to them when they start chasing squirrels. (my cats were rescues too) They've been good to us though that they have killed 2 rattlesnakes in our yard, for that I am thankful. I do hate that even though they are FAT on cat food, they still have to go and chase the innocent.:dono

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-09-2012, 05:54 AM
tinfoil Hansel tinfoil

When Zuzu went missing I was told by a couple of people on here day 5 is very hungry day and very tired day.:sanp3
Sure enough she was back on day 5!!!

:grouphug Scootermom :grouphug
:grouphug ** Hansel ** :grouphug

Scooterzmom
10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Sorry I haven't been on to contribute much lately. Thing is, this is day 6 he has been missing now and I'm a wreck. My baby is gone I don't know where and he took with him a huge chunk of my heart. I'm not dealing with this very well I'm afraid :Cry

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I am so sorry ....
The not knowing is what is so hard....
we all understand and feel your anxiety and worry .:grouphug :grouphug

SammysMom
10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Wherever they go they take such a big piece of our hearts... :grouphug :Love_Icon ScooterzMom & Hansel:Love_Icon :grouphug

JLM27
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm praying that Hansel comes back to you. If it helps any, just about all of my yard buddies are AWOL right now. 'Tis the season to grab as many nuts as you can and bury them. They are all out hard at work. Hansel might have been called away by his bachelor gang to join in.

Scooterzmom
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I do hope he's out playing and stashing away. I'd give my right arm just to know that for sure.

Thanks for the prayers... When I pray for him, I do so for all the little fuzzers who are putting their squammies and squaddies through this. :Love_Icon

Scooterzmom
10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
It's been 8 days now without any news or sight of my sweet Hansel. I miss him so very much, but I think the not-knowing is the worst part :(

pappy1264
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes, it is awful just worrying and wondering. Prayers going out....Hansel please come home!!!

SammysMom
10-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I am so sorry for your pain SM... You are in good company here. These little ones do keep us on an emotional rollercoaster. I hope yours turns up soon...:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

iwonka
10-12-2012, 04:59 PM
He will come back! :grouphug

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
:grouphug

JLM27
10-12-2012, 06:57 PM
HALF my daily regulars (maybe more than half) are still AWOL. Keep up hope.

stosh2010
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Raise...Release...Regret ??
Oh My...
LUNA will be my first releasable... I'm already scared. I LOVE her so much.
I have never let a squirrel go free... and I am nervous...

Scooterzmom
10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I will NEVER regret having raised Hansel & Pebbles. I will never regret having raised ANY of my little fuzzers. Saying I regret it would be like denying I even have a heart to love with. They brought me so very much, more than most people will ever know.

My only consolation now is to think that if something bad happened to him at least I gave him the best possible life I could give him, regardless of how short it was. I think he must know that... wherever he is.

SammysMom
10-12-2012, 08:32 PM
No chance that he doesn't have a wonderful piece of your heart just as you have a piece of his. No matter where he is or what he is doing, you are there with him...:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

stosh2010
10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I am sorry..I didn't mean that YOU regret the LOVE you gave...
That was the last thing I meant
I am just afraid of me-being unable to offer total protection 24/7...as unrealistic as that is...Please believe..I meant you no disrespect

Nancy in New York
10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I am sorry..I didn't mean that YOU regret the LOVE you gave...
That was the last thing I meant
I am just afraid of me-being unable to offer total protection 24/7...as unrealistic as that is...Please believe..I meant you no disrespect
Threadjack here.....:D
Stosh there is nobody that would ever think that you meant anything disrespectful.
You are one of the nicest, gentlest people on the board.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

iwonka
10-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I will NEVER regret having raised Hansel & Pebbles. I will never regret having raised ANY of my little fuzzers. Saying I regret it would be like denying I even have a heart to love with. They brought me so very much, more than most people will ever know.

My only consolation now is to think that if something bad happened to him at least I gave him the best possible life I could give him, regardless of how short it was. I think he must know that... wherever he is.

:Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon

MyBushyTail
10-13-2012, 04:46 AM
One of mine that would come 2-3x a day everyday went missing in June 2011 just came back a few days ago. I feared he had met his demise since he was no where to be found/seen. His home area and nest was right across the street too. Don't give up, there is hope Hansel may return.

Jackie in Tampa
10-13-2012, 05:08 AM
awe, so sorry he is MIA..
me too, I have had sqs, mostly boys, come back after being lost for months..
then when they do come, they need momma more than ever... they get out in the world and sometimes get their young butts kicked..
or chase a girl for weeks.
:poke have his favorites on hand for that home coming!!:Love_Icon

hoping for the best!!!
Ollie Ollie oxen free big sweet hansel!

pappy1264
10-13-2012, 07:09 AM
I can understand everything you are feeling Scooterzmom. I struggle with every release, I do. I want them to have the life they were meant to have, but I also want to protect them, and once that door opens, it is out of my hands. It makes it harder when they have a routine they follow day to day and then one day, they don't. Something has to be wrong. I have learned, more often then not, nothing is wrong, they are off being squirrels. Winter is coming, they all know it, and their instinct tells them they have to get ready (even if mom and/or dad is providing everything they could ever need). I pray with all my heart Hansel will show up soon, so your heart and mind can have some peace, not only knowing he is ok, but you did your job and helped him to do what he is meant to be doing...being a squirrel. My heart and prayers are there with you and worry for your sweet boy too. You are not alone. Dear Lord, please send sweet Hansel home so his mom can have peace in her heart.

iwonka
10-13-2012, 08:43 AM
He probably has been invited to share the room for the winter. He is now working on the home design with his roommates and he is too busy to come say hi to his mom.. :)

Scooterzmom
10-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I went out looking for him again today... called for him and one guy came running, looking like him. For a moment my heart leapt in my chest, I thought "Oh God! Maybe...". But then, when he got closer, I realized it wasn't Hansel - Much to skittish and 2 white tufts behind the ears instead of just one, and not the same tail at all. Most of all, not the same look in his eye and not even his walk. :(

It did give me hope though. Maybe my baby is out there having fun with the girls. Maybe he buried too many nuts here he went and started working on another territory. I sure hope so. :Love_Icon

Now Lea showed up with a bad ear :( It's bent backwards, like folded back and stuck against her head. It's bloodied. She got into a skirmish, obviously. Doesn't look infected though.

Pip
10-13-2012, 05:18 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug :Love_Icon

Scooterzmom
10-13-2012, 05:35 PM
A pic of my big beautiful boy, taken this past X-mas, lounging on top of his cage:

pappy1264
10-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Will never stop praying your sweet boy will show up. Beautiful pic!

Scooterzmom
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you all. Still clinging to hope... not easy but what else is there if one gives up? :Love_Icon

JLM27
10-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Hang in there. This is an odd time of year.

Pip
10-14-2012, 11:37 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

LindaR
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Praying Hansel is safe and does come home...I could not imagine being without Hammie, my heart goes out to you both :Love_Icon :grouphug Praying his safe return God Speed!!

stosh2010
10-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Hansel...PHONE HOME
...your family is missing you terribly.

nursing4bama
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm with you in missing your baby boy. My baby "Chipper" left Tuesday morning and I am full of despair. I don't think he was ready at all. He still loved his "bottles" and didn't know how to drink water from a dish. He never wanted anything liquid to touch him. I started a new job and he probably knew I wouldn't be available as much as I've always been. I'm hoping he is with the other "little" squirrels I've seen lately, and hopefully he's learning how to survive like he should before it gets cold. This is our first cool snap this weekend and I'm praying it doesn't rain anytime soon because he hated water on his little paws. I pray Hansel returns to you, even if it's to let you know he's safe. That's all I ask of "Chipper" to. I sure miss him. I'm praying for you and Hansel and myself and Chipper.
:grouphug :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :grouphug