PDA

View Full Version : My dog's attacked our neighborhood squirrel! never looked after a squirrel pls help x

LightSwift
10-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Hello, i've found this amazing community after googling
"My dog attacked a squirrel, possible broken arm"
and ive made a profile just so i could post.

The situation.
My partner went out into our garden after hearing some scuffling and barking,
Found one of our german shepherds playing with it, she was "ragging it" and throwing it around he said,
Our other german shepherd followed him out, got curious and went to sniff it,
It obviously in shock tried to protect itself, tried pushing his face away,
So then our 2nd german shep bit the squirrel
*this poor little thing has been thru the wars :(*
My partner shooed them away angrily,the squirrel tried to escape and
Burrowed under some scrap materials in our garden.
At this point ive walked out, locked the dogs in;
At this point were wondering what to do, *Meanwhile mike grabbed the garden gloves to see how badly damaged the squiggle was, put it a few foot away from where it burrowed, it leant on a box and ran back to its burrow spot, except it was holding its left arm up and only running with right arm and both hind legs,
he came in to see if i'd found anything.
(*)We both did a 2 yr animal care course ending lastyear, we trained for this but in the situation, and shocked that my dogs would actually do this, my brain went dead and every bit of knowledge went out the window o.O so i thought id hit jackpot when i came accross you guys who seem to be experts :bowdown compared to me D;(*)
We then went out and found the cat teasing him, (poor thing!) so shooed him off too and figured what we'd do is put it in the dog house and secure it in as it would be warm, dry, and dark with a small window. (doghouse only has an old duvet for the dogs, figured it might like to burrow in it, to keep it warm)
(the doghouse has doors on that we have clamped shut with a few bricks, the top door swings open about a cm so d,w its not airtight hes not gunna suffocate)
We placed 2 small bowls, shallow enough for him to reach in with his good arm/lean over, without it being able to spill.
In the bowls we have fresh water, and also a few seed selections as we like to feed the squirrels normally :/ so hes got some sunflower seeds and other seeds, we also read fruit is good for them but all we have is dried raisins so after checking he could eat them, we popped them in too.
Once everything was ready, my partner placed him in gently and the squirrel ran to the nearest corner.

We've secured him in and left him to rest, as i read on here
"Rest Is Best :thumbsup "
the doghouse is in our garden and we let the dogs out to pee,
were having some horrible english muggy weather, so were not leaving the dogs out all day anyway, because of the mud, were opening the door, ofc the dogs wanted to investigate the doghouse, we shooed them and once they'd done their business. brought them in and closed the backdoor again to big the poor thing some peace. Whilst on wee-duty i peeked in the little window to see he had moved from the corner he first rushed to, so unless he's squeezed himself out the tiny gap and escaped, im guessing he's snuggled up trying to get over his traumatic day :(

The Squirrels Condition
From what i can see,
A badly hurt, very possibly broken left arm.
Like i said *if you didn't just skip to his conditions*
He ran holding his left arm but seemed fine running
on all other legs, My partner said he saw a cut under its
eye, he says its a tiny little cut, could of been caused
by the throw.
No external bleeding, For the inside i don't know
but understandably the squirrel wouldn't try to show injury
to his predators.

Why haven't you called the RSPCA?!
Because A, this was about 8am *its now 11:30 so he's had a fair bit of time to rest*
B, I honestly thought seeing as they're deemed vermin, i didn't want the rspca to put it down :(
C, after reading alot of stories of squirrels attacked by cats/dogs with broken arms and legs making a full recovery, I had hoped i could look after it myself.
*i've already healed a bird back to recovery, but then it pretty much did all the work* plus doing the animal care course, i ofcourse have a huge love for animals and didnt want it to just be put down but ofc i dont want it to be in prolonged pain.

Why arent your dogs trained you nutcase?!?!
My dogs have never really shown a problem with wildlife and they're fine with other dogs.
I do however also have a Border Collie, who *before we had the german sheps* was our only dog at that time, and used to play/chase/bark at the seagulls that used to sit on an old peoples home next to us, we assumed because they were flying around and she was a collie that she was naturally trying to herd them. we obviously told her off for barking, but mainly because it was a nuisance, she may of got the german sheps worked up over wildlife but like i've said theyre fine with other dogs and cats.
So naturally i was horribly shocked.

-okay now i'll stop typing, give you genius' a chance to read my huge essay D; and hopefully give me a hope in hell in how i can help this poor soul :( x
as a side note - im going to the shops today and was going to buy some sunflower seeds/nuts - any idea's/advice?

-Thank you for reading and i hope i get a reply soon.
:thankyou

-LightSwift x

Mrs Skul
10-02-2012, 06:42 AM
:morning LightSwift
Can you catch it and bring it in the house? Is this a baby or a adult? Is is a Gray Squirrel, a Ground Squirrel, or a Flying squirrel?
Can you post some pictures or Email them to me? cmsokla@nctv.com
PS
Did the Cat Bit or Get a hold of him? Cat bits are Deadly to Squirrels.

island rehabber
10-02-2012, 06:46 AM
LightSwift Ijust gave you full access to the Board, so you can post pix and use the private messaging feature. First thing with ANY injured wild critter: Dark, Warm and Quiet. Whatever you do keep him away from the dogs and hopefully any sound of them....he is terrified and possibly shocky.

NO sunflower seeds, please.....get him some almonds and hazelnuts WITHOUT SHELLS, since he probably cannot hold a nut in order to crack it, with his broken arm. Also fruit like melon, apple, pear......he will get some hydration that way too.

Jackie in Tampa
10-02-2012, 06:50 AM
:Welcome Hi..is Hampshire in UK?

The dogs are alot less of a problem thatn a cat...the cat has wicked deadly bacteria in their mouths, usually leading to pasterella and death without interception.
Got a bird cage or a container with tight bar spacing?
offer somethng wet, grapes, melon, apple, orange...some wilds will eat it, others will refuse...
is this a red? a ground sq? a grey?
To my understanding greys are not well liked.
It would be optimum for him to be cared for and treated with anti biotics...

TSB does have several members in the UK, I will private message some of them to this thread, maybe they know a safe vet or safe rehabber to help you..
These little guys try try try not to show pain or injury...they know they are prey and it's best to hide the pain and afflictions..
Is this an adult sq?

hang tight, someone will be here shortly...
thank you so much for caring!!!:bowdown

and Welcome to TSB!:wave123

Mrs Skul
10-02-2012, 06:53 AM
:morning Jackie and IR.
I am sining off is a few. Glad to see you both hear. :thumbsup

LightSwift
10-02-2012, 09:52 AM
omg *FACEPALM!*
WHAT. AN. IDIOT -_-
so ive been reading post after post describing which squirrels and such,
then i forget to put what kind it is -_- do excuse my stupidity,

okay-
He's a young male i'd say as we havent seen much of him, but the more we see him the more we see him grow, so im guessing hes a young adult, -he filled out my partners hand, but still looked small-ish?

Grey hes a GREY squiggle! xD

I would bring him in the house but like i said were having horrible weather so the dogs are in the house and theres nowhere we could put him so thought the doghouse was the best option, its warm, dry, and dark.

-ABOUT THAT - I've just been having alittle bit of a nap, an hour and a half i'd say, came back downstairs, just looked out the kitchen window and i saw the top door *2 stable horse doors* wide open *FACEPALM*
STUPID partner didnt think hard enough into the plan. :bash
so i ran out peeped in, couldnt see anything, but then as its windy if he was near the surface and he got cold he could of burrowed deeper :/
OR he could of climbed with his good arm, his left arm could of just been sore and the pain has gone down and he could of run off, i didn't see him anywhere around and just assumed if he WAS still in there, then it shouldn't be open for much longer! so i closed the door and propped a garden fork against the door and a cement step, there's still air getting in but without a kick or godknows what then the top door shouldn't come free again -_- *talk about wanting something done do it yourself xD *

So we might now be doing all this for nothing, but thank you for helping hammy my imaginary squirrel in the meantime :) :thankyou :D :crazy

-Pictures, after finding out the door was wide open
*yes i know we now need to find out if hes still there~*
should i leave him a little longer to get warm again? or should i send my partner into the dog house with the garden gloves like some warnerbro's cartoon? :/

Okay so apparently my list didnt work 2ce so i'll do it the old fashioned way xD

1- Okay! so! -He (or she) Is a Young(?) Adult.
2- He (or she) Is A Beautiful Grey Squiggle! :)
3- He (or she) may not even still be here :/
-i understand we need to find out asap but i really think i should give him more time, I doubt he's hulk-squirrel and can jump out of it over the bottom door :/
4- Foodwise! NO sunflower seeds, *i thought they just nibbled them, didnt crack or use many arm muscles except for holding*
More almonds, and possibly hazelnuts WITHOUT shells :)
Also Pear, Apple, and Grapes i think someone said! :)
5- YES this is in the UK - Hampshire, It's Portsmouth.
6- I dont think the cat got a bite but was just inspecting, he really didnt have much time at all and the squiggle was already pretty deeply burrowed in our scrap materials - so i think the cat was just inspecting and didnt actually get to touch it.
7- Hope this helps and thank you all very much for reading, helping and even inviting people from england to come read this :)
My partner will wake up in like another hours time or so *was up all night, stupid energy drink :( * so i'll send him in as he can hold if i can get a good pic of him and i'll try uploading it. :) can i upload strait from pc *asin a document on my desktop* or do i have to get the html format?
GYAH! i'll figure it out -
Hope this helped :) x
:thankyou all again! i feel so welcomed even tho its my fault one of these adorable harmless creatures is in so much pain right now :( x

island rehabber
10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
LightSwift your posts are a lot of fun -- wish we didn't have to be so serious while trying to help this poor squirrel and all, because you do sound like a fun sort of person :D, but first things first.....

1. Determine whether you indeed do have an injured squirrel on your property.
2. Secure him somewhere Dark Warm & Quiet which he can't get out of....
3. Wait and see if we can find a rehabber in your area (we now have a list!) who can help.

LightSwift
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
fun? ahh :) ^^ thank you ^^
- and im really surprised i got a reply so soon :S
i clicked like and BAM you replied xD

[serious mode]
1- I may go wake up my cranky sleepy partner, on account of Mr Squiggle!
*he'll probably do it, he really wants to look after it and nurture it back to health*
2- NOW i've made adjustments, The doghouse will be warm, dry, dark, and also un-escapable D; *stupid stupid boy -_- :bash -_-
3- you have a list? wow! i understand they can obviously help alot more than we can, but like i said We live in hampshire *so hopefully it wont be a long haul for them* and plus my partner is really adamant on saving the poor fella :(
also 4 - If i do manage to get hold of Mr. Hammy *his name :( * and i take photos, sorry if theyre rubbish quality, my phone is useless and Hammy is pretty lively obviously and he may just be a blur :/ but i'll try getting all sides, the cut my partner said he saw and hopefully he'll be holding his arm helpfully so you can see.
-I'll go upstairs now :)! :wave123 "wake up miiiike! :poke "
i will be back shortly! x

LightSwift
10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
okay! got some photos,
dont get excited, theyre not that good D;
My partner didnt want to A, risk his fingers and
B, wanted to give him a rest. he said he wont like us poking him, hes only been there a few hours
BUT HE IS STILL THERE! :D
and moving the duvet about, he ran from one side to the other,
looked warm, cosy, still holding his left arm up,
no blood on sheets so - tbh looking pretty good! :D
-Please ignor my horrible garden, its windy, wet, muddy and very MEH!

PHOTOS! apologies if you cant see him, mike didnt wanna hold the duvet up for too long if he was snug and warm, but rest assured, he is still here, he is warm and made himself a little darker place by sleeping in a flap of the duvet :)
*ignor the filthyness of the doghouse, afterall. its a doghouse xD *
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/248f8fb2e4fbe254a1d55bd90e2c9ddb1349194096_full.jp g
-http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/6c5f515eae41e5f535693910e5789a761349194099_full.jp g
-http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/b60c8954bc54434f7d4ff4f90234313d1349194103_full.jp g
the last showing the style of doghouse, an idea of the size, showing a little gap between doors, plenty of air, but nice, dry, snug and warm too.
Maybe not as dark as you'd like but its the best i could do in a panic, Plus he burrowed into the duvet to keep warm and dark i guess :) x hope this helps D; x

LightSwift
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
i know this may sound stupid,
and borderline ridiculous stupidity,
but to me he looks grey, with red cheeks and belly, maybe a little of his head...
my friend has already told me how stupid i am for thinking it -_-
but i know they kill each other,
but is it possible he's a half-mix? like a Hybrid? x
take a look at it zoomed in, whaddaya think? x
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/6c737fb8884b02d57908d74d1296b5ce1349200848_full.pn g[/IMG]

LightSwift
10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
sorry guys.
my selfish rude ARGH!
inconsiderate sister let it out -
she rudely ignored me saying theyve already
been out *dogs*- let them out all night whilst i was asleep
and i opened it thismorning to see the squirrel
at my backdoor dead. the concrete slab was a few feet away, so wether she opened it to "release it" or what i dont know but i. am. fuming!
im sorry guys i really am :(
it was nice knowing you all for a few days x

skippy
10-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Well that s.....ks. :shakehead
He was a beautiful young squirrel with a good chance at surviving. He came to you all for help.
If you are seriously interested in using what you learned in your 2 years of caring for wildlife classes then it would be a great help to the animals if you could gather up some supplies to have on hand if this happens again to one of the squirrels you are feeding or any others that you may come in contact with.
There is so much information available here on the homepage that will help you be better prepared to gather them up and keep them safe until you can get them to a rehabber for treatment. You may want to have the numbers that others have offered to provide to you handy so no precious time or lives are lost again.
I'm sorry for you and the young one that had to go through this horrible death.
When we know better we do better I suppose.

stepnstone
10-05-2012, 02:25 AM
:shakehead That poor baby! This is horrible!!