PDA

View Full Version : Can Baby Make Own Nest?

ndandrea
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Hello,
New here and want to express my appreciation for all the know-how shooting around this place.
I'm wondering, do young squirrels need help with their first winter's den or nest? A little one fell into my family's lap recently, she's doing great and is sleeping outside in a homespun "nest" for now (a milk-crate attached to her original tree). She probably shouldn't stay in that thing forever--for one thing, it's really low. Is there something I need to do to get her to move out and make a proper nest?
Or without a family to huddle with this winter, should we provide more for her until spring?
Thanks for anything you all can tell me.
Sincerely,
Naomi

Mrs Skul
09-29-2012, 11:56 PM
:wave123 Hi Ndandera Welcome to TSB!!! :Welcome.
Can you post a few pictures and give a little more Information?
How Old is She and What is her Diet like? How old was she when you found her? How long has she been weened? :dono
If it is a Fall Baby It is best to Overwintered in The House. Usually you give them a Nest Box filled with Fleece, Paper Towels, &,or Cotton. She will not make it on her own if she is a Fall baby. :shakehead
It is ruff even for Spring babies to get going good by winter time. What formula did you feed, and Is she still on Formula. Fall Babies stay with Mom through the winter. Thanks for checking and asking Questions. :grouphug
PS
Yes she needs Help making a Nest. You need to teach her. :D

ndandrea
09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Thank you for the reply, Mrs. Skul!
Sorry to be vague. Effie is a little girl who must be 10-12 weeks old. We found her only a few weeks ago with a hurt leg at the base of her tree. Per our local nature center's instruction, we left her there for the day in hopes her mom would come claim her. We watched and hydrated her through the day. Then we attached a milk crate to the tree so she wouldn't be on the ground. Gave her a microwaved sock "friend" for the night.
Since she was so old, we tried her on available foods rather than formula. Mashed avocado with water, bananas with cream, raw applesauce, etc. She accepted some soft solids right away. She is now devouring small acorns, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, almonds, etc. We've given her hickory nuts to work on, and she's starting to grind away on them (though she hasn't gotten one open yet). We give her the "bottle" only twice a day now and we see her slowing down in her interest toward it.
She climbs high in the tree and perches on a little knot about 20 feet up. Yesterday and the day before, she's been intently watching the other squirrels below her, and sometimes coming down to the ground to forage for maple seeds like them.
Question: If I overwinter her in the house as you recommend, does that mean day and night? Or just night? During the day can she still go out to play and forage for food?
Thanks again sincerely! It is reassuring to her feedback from people who've had some experience.
p.s. I'm not sure I can post a photo yet. Effie sits up to eat, holds her now-bushy tail above her, hangs upside down from the tree. These clues are what I base my age guess on.

ndandrea
09-30-2012, 08:32 AM
BTW, this is a fox squirrel just for your info.

Mrs Skul
10-02-2012, 07:05 AM
:morning Ndandrea
You really need to bring her in and keep her in the House for the winter. She is to Young to live on her own. She will not make it through the winter time. She would still be nursing from Mom.
Hear is a Link to the Squirrel Nutrition. It shows the Healthy foods for Squirrels. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191
You might wont to order some FoxVally and start her back on Formula for a while until she willingly gives it up. You also need to order Squirrel Blocks for Baby's. How is her leg doing? :thinking
http://henryspets.com