PDA

View Full Version : How do Mommy Squirrels make Babies Stay in nest?

CrazySquirrelLady
09-28-2012, 10:21 PM
How do they do it?

Mine are not even close to being out of the nest in the wild, and they would be in Texas if I left the door open.

Do the wild squirrels talk em into doing right?
Can I learn how to make that noise? lol

Do mommy squirrels nip them? spank them?

How do they control the little devils?

Just curious to see if these methods could be used to train rescued babies.

Mine need military school. They are bad squirrels who will end up on the wrong side of the nut one day.. hahahahahahah

Rhapsody
09-29-2012, 02:57 AM
Good Question....... I often wonder the exact same thing when I hear people say "momma squirrel doesnt even let them out of the nest until they are around 10-12 weeks old" --how is that we as humans cant even keep one baby squirrel in a cage - lol.

CritterMom
09-29-2012, 03:56 AM
Good Question....... I often wonder the exact same thing when I hear people say "momma squirrel doesnt even let them out of the nest until they are around 10-12 weeks old" --how is that we as humans cant even keep one baby squirrel in a cage - lol.

They smack the ^%$$ out of them!

I had about a 7 week old baby climb all the way down the very tall maple in my backyard so it could come over to see what I was (I was working in the yard, weeding). A minute later, mama discovered him gone and came out of that hole screaming! I backed off from the baby far enough so she could come get him but not far enough that I couldn't intervene if a hawk came by. She came flying down the trunk and instead of just grabbing him, she smacked him so hard the poor little muffin rolled a good 6 feet! THEN she grabbed him, ran up the trunk, and stuffed him unceremoniously into the nest hole and came out and spent the next hour cussing at ME!

Tiger Moms my butt. Beware Squirrel Moms.

island rehabber
09-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Do you know the game "Whack -A-Mole"? That's one way they do it. Soon as Junior pushes his little snoot out the entrance hole, mamma smacks him back in again! Ever see a video on how mamma squirrels potty their babies? OMG, can you say stranglehold?????? One of her paws pins the baby on his back, by the NECK, and then she starts licking him! These kids don't know how good they have it when they end up with us :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Jackie in Tampa
09-29-2012, 08:09 AM
whack a mole:D
yep:D

sage4dylan
09-29-2012, 08:38 AM
They smack the ^%$$ out of them!

I had about a 7 week old baby climb all the way down the very tall maple in my backyard so it could come over to see what I was (I was working in the yard, weeding). A minute later, mama discovered him gone and came out of that hole screaming! I backed off from the baby far enough so she could come get him but not far enough that I couldn't intervene if a hawk came by. She came flying down the trunk and instead of just grabbing him, she smacked him so hard the poor little muffin rolled a good 6 feet! THEN she grabbed him, ran up the trunk, and stuffed him unceremoniously into the nest hole and came out and spent the next hour cussing at ME!

Tiger Moms my butt. Beware Squirrel Moms.

lol.... this made me really laugh HAHA!:rotfl

missPixy
09-29-2012, 10:40 AM
This is all so true! Already at 6 weeks old, Katie has become so rambunctious and "I want to do things MY way!" that I can see how being very assertive as a squammy is essential! even after formula feedings, with her face full of formula, she now wants to wipe her face on her own, on my clothes. I have to firmly grab her in the fleece towel, burrito her and clean her face!

treeman
10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
:goodpost We were wondering the same thing. As much as they want to explore and run around Squirrel Mommies must have to be drill-sergeants to keep those kids in line!! Now I see it's the truth!

crazysquirrels
10-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Fear keeps them at bay. They know by instinct to be afraid.

mdyoung216
10-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Maybe you need to put on a squirrel costume and tape syringes to your chest. LOL

IrishHarps
10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
:rotfl

I need to look this stuff up on youtube

CrazySquirrelLady
10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Maybe you need to put on a squirrel costume and tape syringes to your chest. LOL
Maybe? huh? I thought that was what I was supposed to be doing? I been dressing up like giant squirrel for 3 months evrey day... you mean.... I DONT? have to ??????:rotfl

Foamy the squirrel
10-05-2012, 11:09 AM
what! wow squirrels are abuse parents :-/ lol :rotfl

Kelly Brady
10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh this is so funny but so true.

Paco went about her motherly business right in front of me.

It is no lie, they whack their kids. They are rough with them. But it works.

There were these tiny little pinkies and she would slam them down and hold them with thier front paw by their necks to potty them. I was gasping saying oh my god be gentle. Noooooope

Then as they got older if they approached the exit hole on the nesting box she either whacked them away (sent them flying)or literally layed her front arm on their head. That is why when babies I am raising try to bite I lay my finger on top of their head firmly and they retreat and stop immediatly.

Baby squirrels are used to aggressive behavior to discipline for sure. Paco threw in a grumpy growl along with all of that as well. I throw in a grunt similar to what she did sometimes.

I must look crazy doing this but I am after all a little crazy and proud of it:rotfl

Rhapsody
10-05-2012, 03:32 PM
And they tell us NOT to spank our kids. :chair :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :nono :thinking

nursing4bama
10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
This is hilarious! I've often wondered how they're made to stay still also. I know my baby Chipper is getting away with alot now...lol. I couldn't dare discipline him, I let him bite me and I grin and bear it. To see this post has made my day. I'm gonna try the finger on the head trick...he will probably just squeek at me and I'll let go. He's such a funny little fella. He also thinks I'm suppose to hold him all the time. Loves to sleep on his back in my arms. He hopped around this morning and rolled like a tumbleweed..I wish he had a squirrel friend to play with...I'm doing my best to entertain him. He loves it. His favorite comment...PFTT :))))):jump

Skul
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Whack-a-mole.
Saw Rocki do that many times with her kids.

daniellenc
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
So if I had beat mine like my kids they would behave???? Oh snap, lol

On a side note last time Niko grabbed on and wouldn't let go I tried the head tap and it did NOT work at all. Maybe he is just too old for conditioning, lol but he bit down even harder. Thankfully this outdoor setup seems to have him semi chilled out:D

Foamy the squirrel
10-05-2012, 08:03 PM
So if I had beat mine like my kids they would behave???? Oh snap, lol

On a side note last time Niko grabbed on and wouldn't let go I tried the head tap and it did NOT work at all. Maybe he is just too old for conditioning, lol but he bit down even harder. Thankfully this outdoor setup seems to have him semi chilled out:D

it works on some squirreles I did that with olympia Id tap her head and say no in a ferm voice now if she does it all we gotta say is no and she stops

PennyCash
10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
THIS thread has had me laughing until it hurt, literally. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

sage4dylan
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
THIS thread has had me laughing until it hurt, literally. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

meeee too lol! flip listens to the head thump and no PART of the time but not always

jvillereptile
10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
my momma flier when i take the babies out of the cage for handling she is standing in the corner of the cage watching every move i make with them and when i put the back in the cage but not in the box she will run over to them pick them up and attempt to bring them back to the nest box, my babys are 6 weeks old it kinda funny watching her do this

island rehabber
10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
my momma flier when i take the babies out of the cage for handling she is standing in the corner of the cage watching every move i make with them and when i put the back in the cage but not in the box she will run over to them pick them up and attempt to bring them back to the nest box, my babys are 6 weeks old it kinda funny watching her do this
:rotflit's like she's saying, "now get in that box and do your homework! Enough of this fooling around with humans!"

IrishHarps
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey jvillereptile - you need to get video of that!

kassy
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
This is just too funny. My babies are actually very well disciplined and I thought it was just a fluke b/c how can baby squirrels understand right? Well I have noticed that when I say "NO" firmly, they literally stop what they are doing and they are known to have awesome memories. They know when they are biting too hard on my fingers too b/c I say "ouch" in a crying voice and no kidding, they stop, look at me and either start licking my finger or just bite more lightly. I'm amazed at how intellegent and human like these little guys are. I swear they even get their little feelings hurt! I can tell if I don't feed one in time when having to feed the other; I swear the other gets upset. I can go on and on w/stories and what I observe daily w/these crazy little angels. :)

Kysska
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Oh my gosh, those poor little babies! Why do the mommies have to be so rough :hissyfit

Yeah I know they're doing it for the baby's safety :rolleyes: Still I can't imagine smacking a little pinky! :Love_Icon

Saverywood
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
How do they do it?

Mine are not even close to being out of the nest in the wild, and they would be in Texas if I left the door open.

Mine need military school. They are bad squirrels who will end up on the wrong side of the nut one day.. hahahahahahah

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl