PDA

View Full Version : I wanna become a rehabber

Foamy the squirrel
09-28-2012, 08:31 PM
how do i go about doing so??? Im in NY ... can some one help me with info on what I need to do??

kassy
10-09-2012, 06:12 AM
haha! I finally had to calm down and take a minute and look at different posts while figuring how to post properly . Anyway-i was interested in the "process" as well. i know there is lots to do but I am willing and able as I have the space, the yard and I live in the woods! Perfect for release and most importantly I have the love and will have the time once I'm transferred over into my new home this week. I hope someone got in touch wyou and I will be looking into also WHEN I'M SETTLED. I have such a dilemma b/c I have 2 babies now and I am SUPPOSED to be packing and cleaning the other place and guess what? The ONLY thing I'm doing is tending to the babies. It's good and bad! Bad that my landlord thinks I'm nuts b/c I've not even made a dent over in new place and good that I obviously know my priorities and only in squirrel world would that be considered good. In "real world"-they think I'm nuts, foolish and not taking care of what SHOULD be priority. I didn't look for these babies, they came to me. You can't choose when babies will be born and need help! I was slowly building my supply armor and not soon enough. Well I hope we get some advice. i'm not ready just "yet" but will be in about a couple months to start the process. :)

island rehabber
10-09-2012, 06:28 AM
You two are going to have completely different experiences getting your license.

New York doesn't much care about us, Foamy. They make it so easy to get a rehab license that you've got "rehabbers" out there who never have taken in an animal and never even plan to -- they just think it's cool to say they have a license :pissed. Once you get a license you can take in animals with no training whatsoever:shakehead.....but of course it is far better to work with someone who is experienced. I ended up being mentored by a rehabber way up in northern Westchester. Anyway, the link is here to get started:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25027.html

New Jersey, on the other hand, DOES care and has an apprenticeship program, I believe. You need to have a certain number of hours actually working under a licensed rehabber to qualify. I suggest you PM one of our NJ members, I Love Lucy, and ask her about the process. :)

harehelper81
10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Island Rehabber, what about Illinois, do you know? I have considered trying to get a license, but I haven't been able to find out how to do so.

bchappell
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
In Tennessee you you have to have one of 3 things: 200 hours at a rehab center, 1 year as a lab tech at a veterinary office, or be a licensed vet. I tried to get mine but there aren't any centers near me :(

godschoice
01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
What about Texas!

Charley Chuckles
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Here is Nancy's web-sight she is awsome :thumbsup Maybe she can help/she is a licensed rehabber in Illinois :thumbsup
You can PM her she is on the board as 2ndhandranchrescue :D
http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html
Island Rehabber, what about Illinois, do you know? I have considered trying to get a license, but I haven't been able to find out how to do so.

Chickenlegs
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Virginia requires 2 years under a licensed rehabilitator (category II). After you have a sponsor willing to train you, you get a permit as a category I rehabilitator--fill out boo-coo paperwork that requires your sponsors signature and that of a vet, then your facility/room/where ever it is you will care for your critters is inspected by a game warden. As a Category I you can care for healthy orphans but not injured critters. You are required to have 6 hours of continuing education credits to renew your license each year and you have to submit an annual report. It's an ongoing education. Godschoice, I'll PM the number of my friend in your area code. Maybe she can connect you with someone she works with and get you on the road to your permit.

alana1957
06-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know about Idaho...the process or what ya need to do to become a rehabber?

squirel
07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi,
Sorry I don't have any idea how to help you , but I wish you to find a way and become a wonderful rehabber .
Thanks for caring so much for the little ones

SquirtsMom
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone! Squirts Mom here! No worries, Squirt is doing great! (spoiled little guy). So over the course of the last 6 months I have had him word got out and now I am apparently the squirrel lady for my area. I live in Wellborn, FL (Suwannee County). I would like to go ahead and get my rehabber license because I consistently have squirrel calls and now I have 2 babies coming to stay with me until release. (I couldn't bare to let the vet put them down like they said they would have to!!). Any idea on how I get started? I saw something in Gainesville FL at one time but I can't find it again. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mochi&Mocha
08-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Hi everyone! Squirts Mom here! No worries, Squirt is doing great! (spoiled little guy). So over the course of the last 6 months I have had him word got out and now I am apparently the squirrel lady for my area. I live in Wellborn, FL (Suwannee County). I would like to go ahead and get my rehabber license because I consistently have squirrel calls and now I have 2 babies coming to stay with me until release. (I couldn't bare to let the vet put them down like they said they would have to!!). Any idea on how I get started? I saw something in Gainesville FL at one time but I can't find it again. Any help would be appreciated!!

Anne told me at one point. I can't seem to remember who I called the get sent a info/study packet. Something like Florida fish and wildlife I think...idk its 1am lol. I'll look in the morning for the packet I received. You can always pm Anne as well. I decided against getting it right away because I know I don't have the time to take in as many animals as I would as a licensed rehabber. I've got school and other responsibilities right now. So I try and help out other rehabbers when they are swamped and take in whatever friends find ❤