PDA

View Full Version : Mother Squirrels who kick out defective babies? How common is this?

CrazySquirrelLady
09-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I was wanting to discuss Mother squirrels who kick out babies due to some kind of birth defect that the mothers can sense.

In the squirrels we find, I wonder what percentage would be defective toss outs?

I know lots of people find squirrels that are orphans, or tree cutting deals. Of course those won't count.

I would assume the rate of defectives would be at least 30-40% among found, abandoned babies.

Is this correct?

Jackie in Tampa
09-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I would think so, yes...

island rehabber
09-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I have taken in two neuro squirrels over the years who were clearly abandoned by their moms. In one case, a neuro boy fell out of the nest....his mamma came down, picked him up briefly, and then left him. The homeowner saw the whole thing and cried. In another case, there was a nest behind a wall and the homeowner actually opened the outside of the house to let mamma escape.....she carefully took three of her babies, but left a fourth who turned out to be neuro. How they know is beyond me, but it happens. :(

SammysMom
09-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I think this is what happened to my :Love_Icon Sammy:Love_Icon ... I suspect it is why he never wanted to be released. :shakehead

treeman
09-26-2012, 07:36 PM
How do you tell if the baby has a neurological defect? What are the symptoms?

SammysMom
09-26-2012, 07:38 PM
There are many I think. Head tilting is one of them. Clumsy or sort of off-kilter?

Thumper33
09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
How about general spaz and freaks out about every little thing only to claw the heck out of you every time you pick her up? lol

Ya, I hate to say it, but I think Pinky is a little mentally challenged.

She definitely can't eat formula out of a syringe without her head tilted to the side. Not sure if that counts.

I also found her on the sidewalk alone when she was days old, so it wasn't a tree trimming accident.

I do wonder if her instincts are just in overdrive for whatever reason, but maybe she's just mental.

CrazySquirrelLady
09-29-2012, 01:32 PM
What about running in right hand circles?

Gen. Jackson did that. He did a lot of head tilting, but I thought it might be cuz he was blind, but seizure disorder no doubt.

and Gen. JEB Stuart ain't right either.. lol.

He would drink upside down if I let him and he is so uncoordinated for his size. I think he is 7 weeks old and has skills of a 5 week old.

But he sure is cute.