PDA

View Full Version : Baby squirrel question

grratu
09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello all, I am new here and was wondering if you can answer a few questions for me.

I have a baby squirrel which I picked up from a man that advertised on Craigslist, says he found a squirrel which he at first thought was a dog. He had it a day and didn't know how to properly take care of it, so I went and took it from him after doing some research because he couldn't find a rehabilitator that would take it, and I knew the baby would die if I didn't.

I had her for about a week and she is roughly 5 weeks now. I will post a picture when I feed her next so I can get a nice new one. She is still close eyes but is showing signs of wanting to open them. Today, before her feeding, she weighed in at 92 grams, which I think is good. Because I transport her with me to work, to feed her regularly, I do not have her on a heat pad but instead keep her in a partially open insulated lunchbox with a hot/warm water bag and a towel.

She has been on an Esbilac mix (1 part esbilac, 2 parts water, 1/4 part heavy cream), which I now read on here is not great. I feed her roughly 5-6 mL now, as er appetite is huge.I read that you guys recommend Fox Valley, so I wanted to know what the protocol might be for switching her over? The reason I ask is that she seems to have softer poop lately, it comes out in a solid piece but is very squishy and soft, and when I remove it with tissue it mushes into a paste. It is a mustard brown/yellow color which I read is normal, and she pees a lot and it is clear.

I also wanted to ask, because I am very paranoid,if it is ok that she seems to sneeze a bit during feeding. I do not believe she aspirates, no formula comes from her nose, and there is no wheezing or clicking when she breathes. I listen to her intently as she sleeps with my ear over her and I hear no sound.

Thanks very much, everyone!

SammysMom
09-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Thank-you for helping this little one! Below is some info and a recipe for Goats Milk formula. I would try taking out the cream for the moment as it may be causing the loose stool. When you change over you do it gradually by adding 25% new for a couple of feedings then 50%, 75% and all new formula. The towel is not a great idea due to the loops and nails getting caught. Really for long term I would suggest getting a cheap heating pad with no auto shut-off too. It is extremely important that they are kept steadily warmed.
Baby Squirrel Information

1) Is the baby uninjured? Is mom still around? and if so, warm the baby and place in a safe spot where mom can reunite if possible. Mom will not take a cold baby!
2) Okay, so you couldn’t reunite with mom. Start by warming the baby in a plastic container full of fleece or tee shirt material. (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury) Place the container half on a heating pad that is set on low. It needs to be a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off. It needs to be half on and half off so that the baby can get off of the heat if it gets too hot.
3) Check to see if the baby is dehydrated. You can do this by gently picking up the skin on the back of the baby’s shoulders. If the skin goes right back down it is not dehydrated. If the skin remains “tented” for a time, you will need to rehydrate with Pedialyte or homemade Pedialyte.

Hydrate them right away (use a 1cc syringe and go slow)........ give some homemade pedialyte every hour for six to eight hours and then you can start start feeding them some formula made from goats milk (if they are thoroughly hydrated).
Pedialyte for no more than 24 hours!!! Too much sodium!!

Homemade Pedialyte
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe - head UP tail DOWN
Keep warm at all time – If no heating pad available fill bottle with hot water (cover bottle with sock) or fill a sock with dry rice or beans and microwave. Be sure to squish the rice or beans around to be sure there are no hot spots that might burn the babies.

4) Once rehydrated begin to feed Fox Valley formula which can be ordered from http://foxvalleynutrition.com or while waiting for that to arrive use recipe below. As a general rule you will feed 5 - 7% of their body weight per feeding

Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)
5) This information is really just meant to get you through until you can get the baby or babies to an experienced rehabber. If you are here on The Squirrel Board, you have access to all of the information you could ever need about squirrels. Most importantly there is generally someone here who can help to find you someone who can take the babies and prepare them for life in the trees. The trees are where they are meant to be and people here know how to get them safely there!

grratu
09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the information.

I do keep the baby warm, I replace the warm water constantly, but I do agree that a heating pad is probably best. I will get one today, especially since the baby is getting too big for her lunchbox and wants to move around and I will need to have her in a carrier of some sort with a eating pad now. I will probably still use the lunchbox for transporting her to work, because it is getting quite cold and I travel by bus.

I will see about the goats milk, thanks for the recipe. Her poop is not that bad but I haven't been liking it.

I ave read that Esbilac as some problems with squirrels, but until an our ago on this forum, I have never heard of a formula made for squirrels specifically. I went ahead and ordered the Fox Valley ad it should be here by Monday.

CritterMom
09-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the information.

I do keep the baby warm, I replace the warm water constantly, but I do agree that a heating pad is probably best. I will get one today, especially since the baby is getting too big for her lunchbox and wants to move around and I will need to have her in a carrier of some sort with a eating pad now. I will probably still use the lunchbox for transporting her to work, because it is getting quite cold and I travel by bus.

I will see about the goats milk, thanks for the recipe. Her poop is not that bad but I haven't been liking it.

I ave read that Esbilac as some problems with squirrels, but until an our ago on this forum, I have never heard of a formula made for squirrels specifically. I went ahead and ordered the Fox Valley ad it should be here by Monday.

You want a heating pad that doesn't turn off automatically every two hours - and the good news is that those are the least expensive of the pads. CVS carries them I know.

grratu
09-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry I haven't updated in a while but I have been quite busy!

Baby is doing so very well and we are in the process of converting to Fox Valley now. She is gaining weight very steadily and was 104 grams yesterday!

In other news, I wanted to thank Island Rehabber for Being so vigilant and caring and helping me connect to I Love Lucy, who will be taking over the responsibility of caring for my little girl alongside her own baby girl!

I am ecstatic and at the same time very sad, because she will soon be gone and will be so sorely missed, but I am so grateful for wonderful people like this that really care about wildlife and really care about these baby squirrels.

Thank you so very much! And wish us luck!:thankyou :grouphug