PDA

View Full Version : Just need some feedback

newsquirrelmommy
09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Ok so I am interested in some feedback on how everyone draws up their syringes and how amounts of formula are mixed and kept. My baby is eating a lot now :thumbsup and I was just wondering what makes it easier for all of you. I draw mine up everytime he eats and put them in a warm water mug. I've heard of drawing up syringes then putting them in fridge also so they're ready for next feeding. I make enough formula that lasts 24hrs, then I make more and so on. Just wanted to see if there's any easier techniques out there or if I'm doing good with what I'm doing already. Thanks everyone:D

Nancy in New York
09-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Ok so I am interested in some feedback on how everyone draws up their syringes and how amounts of formula are mixed and kept. My baby is eating a lot now :thumbsup and I was just wondering what makes it easier for all of you. I draw mine up everytime he eats and put them in a warm water mug. I've heard of drawing up syringes then putting them in fridge also so they're ready for next feeding. I make enough formula that lasts 24hrs, then I make more and so on. Just wanted to see if there's any easier techniques out there or if I'm doing good with what I'm doing already. Thanks everyone:D

I always preload my syringes and place them in hot water. I keep changing the water accordingly....it works for me.
DO NOT preload for the next feeding. The nipple will clog and you will shoot the sformula into the mouth, if it unplugs. Most of the time, it plugs up so much that you have to squeeze the tip of the nipple when cleaning/washing it to get it out.:shakehead
I too thought of that, as a way to save time....but it doesn't work.:shakehead
What kind of formula are you using?
I too make enough for one day, I let it sit on the counter for about 20 minutes after mixing, because I keep whisking it periodically, then place in several container and put them in the refrig. I keep them in the refrig for at least 6-8 hours before feeding.

kastillo
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
What size syringe are you using and how much does it (do they) eat per feeding? How many squirrels do you have? I used the same method you are when I had just two babies, but now I have five babies and limited number of syringes and nipples so I do it differently.

newsquirrelmommy
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
:wave123 Hi Nancy! I use FV. This stuff is a miracle formula I tell ya.:D My Squirt is 7-8 weeks old now and when I found him he was 3 weeks old. I started him on Esbilac and saw no quick progress. Then I found out about the FV and let me tell you, when he started the FV I couldn't believe how big and healthy he was getting and still is today.:wahoo

Nancy in New York
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
:wave123 Hi Nancy! I use FV. This stuff is a miracle formula I tell ya.:D My Squirt is 7-8 weeks old now and when I found him he was 3 weeks old. I started him on Esbilac and saw no quick progress. Then I found out about the FV and let me tell you, when he started the FV I couldn't believe how big and healthy he was getting and still is today.:wahoo

Yup, that's what I use too.:thumbsup :D

newsquirrelmommy
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
:wave123 Hi Kastillo! I use 3cc syringes. I have 1 squirrel. He weighs 240 grams and eats 11.5-12.5 cc's. Today I just went down to 4 feedings per day instead of 5 so he can start eating his blocks. He plays with them and shreds them but he's not eating them fully just yet.

kastillo
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
The way you are doing it is great for one squirrel. Pre measuring is good. Since my babies are weaning, they take more of less each feeding. I take a plastic shot cup of formula and drop in it a thermos of warm water. I also have 5 babies, they go through 50 - 68 cc a feeding. I also only have 3 , 3 cc syringes, so I have to refill a lot LOL! Sounds like your doing great.
Got any pics of your baby??

CrazySquirrelLady
09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
NSM sounds like you are doing a good job! Isn't it exciting to see how much bigger they are getting from the starved emaciated baby I first found. My guy looked like one of those concentration camp people from ww2.

I have been mixing 50 ml mark on mixing bowl, adding 100 ml of spring water from a jug. I have been using the 3 cc o ring syringes from Henry's. I love em. My guy is biting them and stuff tho. He won't use a nipple.

Then I whip in 3 tablespoons of Dannon Vanilla Yogurt to make it taste good heehee.

That is enough to last me 24 hours or less, but I waste a bunch every feeding.

I stick my syringes under the edge of the heating pad 30 minutes before feeding time, and they stay nice and warm, just right in case a new syringe is needed full of FV...

That FV is a miracle !!!! Yiyiyiyiyiyiyi!

sassysquirrel
09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
I use the heating pad also - I use a baby jar in a large coffee cup with warm water - when fv is warm - I preload my syringes - wrap them in a warm wet wash cloth and lay them in the middle of the heating pad - and them fold the heating pad in half over top of them - you might have to put something on top of the heating pad to hold it down - but it keeps all the syringes warm for everyone - so no ones fv gets cold

and if you lay a wash cloth on top on the coffee cup with the baby jar - it gets warmer faster

newsquirrelmommy
09-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Yes Kastillo i have pics of him in the nursery and will be uploading some more tonite.:D

Jackie in Tampa
09-18-2012, 06:50 AM
I am a quick reloader!:D
I use one syringe...even for the kids that take 20cc..
and I never use bigger than a 3cc syringe..
it's all in the wrist...:D technique!:rotfl
sounds like what an athelete would say...:jump

newsquirrelmommy
09-18-2012, 06:53 AM
:thankyou Thanks CSL & Sassy!!! Heya Jackie:wave123 Yes im starting to find a groove so he doesnt have to wait long between syringes. Its not always as smooth as i'd like but i challenge myself each time:)

Nancy in New York
09-18-2012, 07:07 AM
I am a quick reloader!:D
I use one syringe...even for the kids that take 20cc..
and I never use bigger than a 3cc syringe..
it's all in the wrist...:D technique!:rotfl
sounds like what an athelete would say...:jump

I could never do the reloading holding a squirrel....ask Maura, she had to pull my syringe up, while feeding and holding her own squirrel....:D
I too never go higher than a 3 cc and I have some kids here who are eating over 30 cc's of formula. Lots of syringes and nipples to wash after.:shakehead

Nemehoto
09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
At first I used one 1 CC syringe for my two babies. I'd alternate feeding them, feed one and turn it loose to climb and explore Mt Momma (me) while I fed the other one a CC. I would reload the syringe each time.

Now since they are bigger and more active I use 2 Syringes. One 1 CC one that I give water with, and 3 CC one I feed with. Since the kiddos have gotten a little more raucous and impatient I feed them one at a time the full feeding. I reload, the squirrel I am feeding at the time runs up to my shoulder while I refill it or will climb my shirt, then I will kiss to it and hold the syringe out and they run back to my knee to eat.

Although I have raise these 8 week old kiddos from 3 days old so they are quite happy to see mom for snuggles and play time.