PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking help for my squirrel...

rugby's_mom
09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello all...

I have found myself in a terrible predicament and am seeking some help…

About 2 years ago, I was given a baby squirrel who had fallen from his nest. I named him Rugby and he was a great eater and a wonderfully sweet little guy. The plan was to raise him and then release him into a safe environment. Soon after finding him, I discovered (in a very unpleasant way) that he had scabies. Vet visits and medications did the trick and he was back on track. I researched endlessly about raising him, weaning, dietary needs, etc. Everything was going well again until weaning time came. Suddenly, one night, Rugby had a terrible seizure. I rushed him the emergency vet. Rugby was given diazepam to stop the seizing and was sent home. First thing the next morning, I called my exotic vet and was able to take him straight in to be seen. Through a physical exam and some testing, it was determined that Rugby had meningitis. I was crushed to see my little man revert back to almost infantile behavior. It was a very long and very expensive road to recovery. I knew Rugby would never be "normal" again… and it took a lot of physical therapy to get him mobile again. He had to learn to sit, stand, climb, balance, and eat all over again.

At present, Rugby is at "maximum recovery" - he balances fairly well (but will still teeter when on a branch), he eats well, makes nests, and bounces around his cage.

Now comes the difficult part - I have been going through some "interesting" life changes and can no longer care for Rugby properly. I am desperately seeking a new home for him. He is not afraid of dogs or cats, so a release into a neighborhood type environment would never work. Plus, he never learned to fend for himself… Neither the vet nor I ever thought that he would improve to the point that he has.

I am hoping to find a home or sanctuary type environment for him… somewhere that he is protected and looked after. He is social, but I would not call him "tame". He certainly can be handled, but will nip/bite at hands when held. I have tried to keep his up with his dietary needs and at this point he seems to be in very good health.

I am located in South Florida (Davie, in Broward County). I would be willing to work out traveling/shipping arrangements for the right home.

Please contact me if you can help or provide any information.

Thank you so much,
Megan and Rugby

djarenspace9
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I have a contact in Miami that may help...I am working right now and will let you know later tonight. They specialize in special needs wildlife but not sure if squirrels specifically.

djarenspace9
09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Well I forwarded the info and waiting to hear back.
Will let you know if this pans out in the morning. :wave123

jblwired
11-09-2012, 01:52 AM
So....what has come to Rugby over the last couple of months? I hope he's ok.

rugby's_mom
11-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Rugby is doing well. He is still living with me. I am still hoping to find him a sanctuary, but so far nothing has panned out.

sid'smommy
11-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Just ten minutes ago, I put Daisy in the car with all her treats and toys to make the trip to her forever home. She is also non releasable, and is ready for her adventures with her forever mommy and daddy. I am so sad, yet so happy for her. She has an 8 hour car ride ahead of her, and I hope she does well. I know that Im going to be a mess until I see her on video doing her happy dance :multi If rugby is a foxer, he may make a good companion for Daisy ! :poke