PDA

View Full Version : sick flying squirrel-need advice

Gabe 2
02-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I have had my squirrel for about 6 months. Today he is not active at all. He is normally very active. I had to gently pull him out of his nest just to see if he was ok. He feels a little cooler then normal, and he is just laying around. I noticed he a lot of bugs or parasites crawling around his face. I'm not sure if they are baby, squirrel fleas or something else. I don't know if they could or would cause his symptoms. Can anyone give me some advice.

Bobo's Mom
02-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I think you might want to move this to Life Threatening as I'm sure it's monitored more closely by people with more experience. They will want to know what you normally feed your squirrel and what his bowel movements look like. Was he ok yesterday? Is he able to climb around? Also, while you're waiting you might want to clean out his nest box & maybe the cage too.

Gabe
02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Good advice, also, is he an outside squirrel? If he is an inside squirrel try to think how he was exposed to fleas or whatever the crawlies are. Do you have cats and dogs near him that may caused the exposure?

Gabe 2
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
He is an indoor squirrel and has not been exposed to cats or dogs for at least a couple of months. I feed him a combination of acorns, walnuts, squirrel corn, apple slices, sunflower seeds and shelled peanuts. The last bowel movement I noticed seemed normal.

Gabe 2
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
What should I do to get rid of the parasites? I have already moved him to a totally different clean area. Can they be safely given baths and how?

Gabe
02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Can you meet us in rehabber's chat?

C*ndy
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Friday when I went to the universite with squirrel I inquired about the safe use of flea products. The vet told me they spray a small amount of Frontline spray on a cotton ball and lightly wipe it across the back. I don't know I would hate to kill one doing it, and I guess that was one vet's suggestion. I am sure there will be plenty answers here for you!! Good luck!

Somebody's Mother
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Gabe 2 bottom left corner of the main screen. just click on it and it will open.

Bobo's Mom
02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Please.... no Frontline. Frontline has been proven harmful to flyers. Don't know about other squirrels but I know it's not good for flyers.