PDA

View Full Version : Need help with neighborhood squirrel who is living on the outside screen of my porch

spikey
09-17-2012, 06:53 AM
There is a grey squirrel on the outside of the screen to my back porch. He has been there for over 24 hours. He is not stuck, as he is able to travel around the screen, but is staying pretty much in one hidden corner. Although I don't know much about squirrels, I think he is young, just based on his size. I also know that there are squirrels that nest in the soffits of my house. I'm not sure whether to just leave him there or try to get him to leave or try to trap him. He doesn't seem to be sick or agitated. He is driving my dog crazy though and now I can't even leave my dog out in the backyard because of this little guy. I don't mind him being there, just want to help him if he needs it. At first he would chatter if I got near him, but now that has stopped. I think he's getting used to me, but definitely not my dog. I live on the New Jersey coast so we don't have alot of trees in my neighborhood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

daniellenc
09-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Maybe he is hurt or ventured from the nest a little early?? Can you get a picture maybe then everyone would know his approximate age?

Just DON'T call animal control they will euthanize him:) My guess is that he is injured, escaped early, or was booted out by mom- has she come to check on him??

spikey
09-17-2012, 07:17 AM
My gut feeling is that he either escaped or was booted out early. It seems like he is not really sure what to do. Either Mom or sibling is in my soffits right now shuffliing around and running. I haven't seen her come back to check on him. I will try to take a photo, but not sure it will turn out through screen, and mostly what I see is his underside. He is adorable. Thanks for your help. Stand by for photo if I can get it.

spikey
09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED (I think). Thank you so much for your help. As long as I knew it might be a young squirrel who was separated from his family I felt better. Right after your last post I went to check on him. I heard a squirrel's call from close by. A couple minutes later I heard a commotion on my upper deck. I ran upstairs to see if it was the mother but no one was there. When I went downstairs to check on my visitor, he was gone!! I'm hopeful it was his Mom coming to help him. I'll post more if he comes back.