PDA

View Full Version : Is my Cage Ramp dangerous?

CrazySquirrelLady
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Gen. Forrest LOVEs his new cage from Henry's, won't hardly come out.. hahaha.

That ramp to second story looks pretty scary to me. I see that the treads are pretty far apart for such a little squirrel as the General.

Will he get hurt if his paw slips and he trips on the ramp?

I took it out and was thinking about threading fleece material through the ramp steps to make it safer.

Is that a dumb idea?

CSL

SammysMom
09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I would just cover the whole thing with fleece. You don't want his leg to slip in between the wires!

CrazySquirrelLady
09-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks. I will do as u suggest, o wise one :D

I admit I do fear I am getting over protective just a little bit... but his wee legs are tiny and if he went between... ouch . Don't know if squirrels might do this or not.

sadie7684
09-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Are you talking about the stairs that come with the cage? I f you are he is most likely fine with them...my little ones run up and down them like it's a racetrack! :)

That being said, covering with fleece can't hurt either!

daniellenc
09-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Mine use it as a speed way, lol- they're fine. And without it he may fall trying to get down which would be a :nono . You can get some of that rubber non slip tread stuff or fleece if your worried:)

Anne
09-17-2012, 07:04 AM
I have flying squirrels in my cage. I just removed the ladder, squirrels never used them. At first I had it in the cage and covered with fleece, worried about those little legs too. Mine prefer to climb and jump, with it gone they have more room for play.

Danamnw
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I have a critter nation cage that has multiple ramps that came with the ramp covers (fleece covers) included. Peanut loves the covers because he can really get a grip on them when he gets to running fast and I love them because I don't have to worry about his feet getting stuck in between the rungs. I have posted the picture that shows the covers. They just slide over the ramps and velcro at the top. I have two sets so I can always have a clean set.

SammysMom
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Exactly what Sammy has Dana! However, Sammy's ain't that clean...:sanp3

Danamnw
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
That was taken right after we got the cage...sorry to say that Peanut's cage is not that clean anymore either!! :rotfl I now have a lot more toys in it for him too. But he loves it and I guess that is all that matters!! When I clean it out he patiently waits and it takes him all of five minutes to mess it all up to HIS liking again!!

CrazySquirrelLady
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the input ! :D

That is one nice cage in photo! WOW!

I decided to take out ramp for time being, and use it when he is a little bigger.

Thanks

rainrshine
09-18-2012, 09:52 AM
How old is your baby? Did you use a smaller cage in between the nesting box and the large Henry's cage? Chester is moving into a medium cage until he is a little bigger and then into the big one. How sturdy is the Henry's cage? I am torn between getting that one and having the hubby build one which would be bigger. There was some nice ideas listed here.

Instead of a ramp have you thought of getting a nice thick tree branch?

CrazySquirrelLady
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
How old is your baby? Did you use a smaller cage in between the nesting box and the large Henry's cage? Chester is moving into a medium cage until he is a little bigger and then into the big one. How sturdy is the Henry's cage? I am torn between getting that one and having the hubby build one which would be bigger. There was some nice ideas listed here.

Instead of a ramp have you thought of getting a nice thick tree branch?

Gen. Forrest is 8 weeks old I think.

I did not use a smaller cage first. He went right in the big one from Henry's.

I really like the Henry's cage. It is very sturdy for indoor use, don't think it would be sturdy enough to keep out a raccoon or something like a coyote from getting inside. But it is not designed to do that really.

The ramp wires are further apart than the cage wires, so I was a little concerned the General would fall in between, so I just took the ramp out for now.

I put up a hammock and it works as a bail out in case he were to fall. He seems to be having no problems getting around and LOVES his new cage.

good luck
CSL