PDA

View Full Version : Restless, grumbling little baby

lamb57
09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Someone brought me a baby gray sq last week that their cat had brought in. No injuries, just small teeth marks, not through the skin, where the cat carried him. Fat, healthy little guy whose mama obviously was taking great care of. We noticed pretty quickly that he is active and "wiggly" so the bet is he fell out of the nest. He opened his eyes Sunday and since yesterday (Monday) he has been quite fussy during the day. He "purrs" or grunts really loud and moves about constantly, then will shriek a few times if alone. We have gotten him out to snuggle and he just roams around constantly & purrs or grunts, as if he is looking for something. He eats plenty and didn't even want any more to eat yesterday (thought that was the issue) but he has done the same thing today. He will finally calm down & go back to sleep but it takes a while. I have never had one do this. I wondered if he is just lonely? I hope to get another baby to go with him but I have raised singletons before & never had this experience.

astra
09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi lamb,

singletons need much more attention and companionship. Some even more than others. So, snuggle him, stroke him etc etc etc, he needs to know he is not alone and he is loved.

Make a rice buddy for him to snuggle with.
Fill up a sock with rice, tie tightly, nuke for a few secs until it is very, very warm. Squish to break possible hot spots, if it is too hot, wrap in fleece and put with him.
That will be comforting.

Now, if he was cat brought, he needs ABs.
Cat salive is deadly. You said that there are teeth marks.
That's dangerous.
Do you have an access to meds?
Baytril is usually used.

Is he on Fox Valley?
Just making sure.

I am sure other ppl will chime in
:grouphug

lamb57
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi lamb,

singletons need much more attention and companionship. Some even more than others. So, snuggle him, stroke him etc etc etc, he needs to know he is not alone and he is loved.

Make a rice buddy for him to snuggle with.
Fill up a sock with rice, tie tightly, nuke for a few secs until it is very, very warm. Squish to break possible hot spots, if it is too hot, wrap in fleece and put with him.
That will be comforting.

Now, if he was cat brought, he needs ABs.
Cat salive is deadly. You said that there are teeth marks.
That's dangerous.
Do you have an access to meds?
Baytril is usually used.

Is he on Fox Valley?
Just making sure.

I am sure other ppl will chime in
:grouphug

He is on Fox Valley. The teeth marks were simply that, just light marks but no punctures. I do have ABs and was ready to give them when they told me he was found by a cat but then when I got him I saw there was no need. It looked like the cat had just carried him like maybe one of her own kittens, very gently. I have had him over a week now and he is fine. Just more grumbly and fussy than usual. :) I have been putting a snuggle disk under him and it seems to calm him more. We gave him a small stuffed animal too. I always feel so bad for the singletons.

CrazySquirrelLady
09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
heehee, bring him over to my house in KY and he can be the General's brother... ;)