PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Drugs I Should Have on Hand for Baby Squirrels

CrazySquirrelLady
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Went to the Vet today and scored enough Baytril to cure 100 squirrels... :D

Are there any other drugs I should have on hand in case of emergency, so that when the rehabbers tell me what drug I need in an emergency I will have it on hand? Then I can just get help with the dosage from the experts, But I will at least have some of the right drugs around.

My vet is very squirrel friendly and he had no problem giving me some Baytril in case of emergency. I am sure the vet will provide me with whatever drugs I need to keep on hand. Baytril was very reasonably priced, only $1.20 each pill. :D

PLease post yuor suggestions on what drugs I need to keep on hand for Emergency Use .

Thanks
CSL

CritterMom
09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
SMZ-TMP - broad spectrum sulfa based antibiotic
metacam - NSAID pain med
prednisone - steroid pain med (never give NSAIDS and steroids simultaneously)
metronidazole - anti parasitic antibiotic
tramadol - narcotic pain med

Also stuff like Benebac, infant ibuprophen and childrens Benadryl.

I am sure I will think of more...

CrazySquirrelLady
09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
SMZ-TMP - broad spectrum sulfa based antibiotic
metacam - NSAID pain med
prednisone - steroid pain med (never give NSAIDS and steroids simultaneously)
metronidazole - anti parasitic antibiotic
tramadol - narcotic pain med

Also stuff like Benebac, infant ibuprophen and childrens Benadryl.

I am sure I will think of more...

Good good, That is GOOD POST. Thanks so much, and keep em coming,
I wanna be able to help out. I'll print out a list for my next shopping trip, cause the vet had to order the LIquid Baytril special for me. heeheehee

Thanks so much, ya'll keep posting! I may turn into the Squirrel Doctor and fly around the country with my stash of squirrel antibiotics, saving squirrels... hahahaha I could dress up like SuperNanny and forcibly remove mistreated squirrels with my squad of pink beret wearing squirrel commandos... hahahahaha

CrazySquirrelLady
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
:thankyou
biump

Jackie in Tampa
09-11-2012, 05:22 AM
good list from Crittermom
and capstar:thumbsup

there will always be other meds, but these are the common meds..
also I like amoxy for stacking with baytril for mycotoxin issues..

I am finding amoxy is not as hardon GI tract as I have always been told it was...I am liking it...
I will always cherish baytril/cipro as I have seen lives saved and it is the BIG DOG Powerhouse...

Silver sulphadene cream is good to have on hand too...

I like fenbendazole for worming..
Revolution for mites and fleas...

CrazySquirrelLady
09-11-2012, 07:19 AM
thanks a bunch! :D

Got a pretty good list for the vet!

:D

CSL

pappy1264
09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Albon, and although not to keep on hand, but ask if he has or can get quickly, baycox for coccidia.

CrazySquirrelLady
09-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Great... I'm making a list and checkin it twice..... heehee

Hugs
CSL

iwonka
09-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Albon, and although not to keep on hand, but ask if he has or can get quickly, baycox for coccidia.

It's the must!!! :thumbsup
Kills coccidia in squirrels and... the depression in Rehabers :D

Jackie in Tampa
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Sulfadimethoxine is a sulfonamide antibiotic, trade name Albon.

Sulfamethoxazole (abbreviated SMZ) is also a sulfonamide antibiotic, but this pharmacologic variation is not used alone, rather used as part of a synergistic combination with Trimethoprim, in the antibiotic TMS, {aka smz-tmp, sulphatrim, sulfatrim, bactrim, septra}
If you have SMZ-TMP, you literally have albon plus...:thumbsup
I have found that albon alone did not cure coccidia for me, however the combo did.

Baycox would not be needed either as it is being used for coccidia as well.
I have no experience with baycox as the SMZ-TMP has always worked and is broad spectrum AB that crosses the blood brain barrier, and is so well recieved by sqs and treats so many bacterials throughout the body..:thumbsup
hope this helps.

Jackie in Tampa
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
It's the must!!! :thumbsup
Kills coccidia in squirrels and... the depression in Rehabers :Damen sista!
coccidia kills rehabbers and washer machines!:D

CrazySquirrelLady
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
sure does help Thanks

iwonka
09-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I have no experience with baycox as the SMZ-TMP has always worked and is broad spectrum AB that crosses the blood brain barrier, and is so well recieved by sqs and treats so many bacterials throughout the body..:thumbsup
hope this helps.

Unfortunately I have it. :osnap

SMZ-TMP: 2 doses per day for 2 weeks... ~10 days of diarrhea "what you put in the same you get out" type. :yuck

Baycox (toltrazuril): 1 dose only! I saw an improvement after 24 hours.. ~5 days of "very light" diarrhea. The normal poop after this.
It treats coccidia by killing all stages of the protozoa.

Baycox isn't cheap.. 50$.... but it worth it every penny! :thumbsup
It's a 200ml bottle so it's easily splittable.. It's what I did. :thumbsup

pappy1264
09-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Only issue with Baycox, it doesn't have a great shelf life. So I wouldn't suggest keeping it on hand, just making sure your vet has it or can get it quickly if needed.

When I dealt with it, I used albon, bactrim and flagyl (as I had them all on hand). Worked, although took time. Yeah, ever face it again, def. will do the baycox. Know many that have used it with great results!!

Saverywood
09-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Has anyone ever used Orbax (Orbifloxacin)?

CrazySquirrelLady
09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
bump

Anne
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Bump

Jackie in Tampa
09-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Orbax

Availability

Tablets: 5.7 mg, 22.7 mg, & 68 mg

Pharmacology

Orbifloxacin, a third-generation 4-fluoroquinolone, is a concentration dependent bactericidal drug. Its mechanism of action is to inhibit bacterial DNA gyrase, and prevent DNA supercoiling and synthesis.
It has activity against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacilli and cocci such as: Klebsiella spp., enterobacter, shigella, Staphylococcus aureus, and E. coli. Strains of pseudomonas and enterococcus are resistant to orbifloxacin.
Orbifloxacin is 95% absorbed, though eliminated by the kidneys 50% unchanged. This higher absorption rate, with urine levels remaining above minimum inhibitory concentration for susceptible organisms, may mean lower dosages in less of a frequency need be given.
It is known that the quinolone class of drugs have been shown to produce erosions of articular cartilage in weight bearing joints, as well as producing other signs of arthropathy in immature animals of various species, including juvenile rats (Kashida et al., 1997). However, evidence of cartilage abnormalities appear to be dose related (high dosages over extended period).
It is also important to note that although the use of fluoroquinolones have not been recommended for initial treatment in pregnant and nursing does or juvenile rats (under 4 months) due to the risks of cartilage abnormalities (Egerbacher et al., 2000), in cases where other antibiotics are not helping, or if the infection is deemed severe, the benefit of using fluoroquinolones (alone or in combination with other compatible antimicrobials) may, in fact, outweigh the risks.
Indications

Useful in urinary tract infections, and soft tissue injury.

Drug Interactions or Contraindications

Concurrent administration of a quinolone, including orbifloxacin, with cation-containing GI products such as magnesium/aluminum antacids or sucralfate, or GI products containing calcium, iron, or zinc may reduce its absorption. It is suggested to separate dosing from any of these products by 2 hours.
Theophylline blood levels may be increased when used with orbifloxacin.
Probenecid blocks tubular secretion of orbifloxacin and may cause an increase in its blood level and half life.
Synergism can occur when aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, and extended-spectrum penicillins are used with fluorinated quinolones such as orbifloxacin.
Not recommended to be given to pregnant or very young rats due to the risk of causing cartilage abnormalities.

Adverse Reactions

CNS: restlessness, may lower seizure threshold (increasing likelihood of seizure activity)
GI: decreased appetite, diarrhea
GU: crystalluria
Other: itching

Dosage Recommendations

The dosages listed below are what some limited vets are using. There is no written documentation regarding dosages for rats. *Dosage is empirical.*
Dosing ranges that have been reported are 1 mg/lb to 5 mg/lb , PO ,q24hrs (5 mg/lb for MSU Veterinary Internal Medicine)
Dose reported being the most effective in rats is 5 mg/lb, this is also empiric.
*NOTE*Toxicity less likely in once daily dosing therapy for aminoglycosides and the fluorinated quinolones.

Considerations

Store tablets in tight moist free container.
Be sure to keep animals well hydrated in order to prevent crystalluria (formation of crystals in urine).
Reconstituted suspension from tablets should be kept refrigerated and has a 14 day expiration time.
Orbifloxacin can be used simultaneously with doxycycline in the treatment of Mycoplasma. Also, in treating suspected polymicrobial infections, where a broader coverage may be needed, synergistic or combination drugs may be used. The following drugs may be seen used simultaneously with orbifloxacin: aminoglycosides (e.g., amikacin or gentamicin), or aminopenicillins (e.g., amoxicillin or ampicillin), or third generation cephalosporins, or clindamycin, or metronidazole. 1 (http://ratguide.com/meds/reference/references_and_resources.php)
Please note that it is imperative to discuss the changing or adding of any medications during your rat’s treatment with your veterinarian to prevent future resistance of microbes to the drugs prescribed.Reference

Pallo-Zimmerman, L., Byron, J., & Graves, T. (July 2010). Fluoroquinolones: Then and Now. Vetlearn.com. Retrieved April 25, 2011, from www.vetlearn.com/Portals/0/PV0710_zimmerman_CE.pdf (http://www.vetlearn.com/Portals/0/PV0710_zimmerman_CE.pdf)
Kashida Y, Kato M. Toxic effects of quinolone antibacterial agents on the musculoskeletal system in juvenile rats. Toxicol Pathol 1997;25:635-43. Retrieved 2011.

mdyoung216
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Was this a good deal? I paid $25 for 30 50mg Bayrocin/Enrofloxacin tablets.