PDA

View Full Version : Ear sores

la dame à l'écureuil
02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
One of the wild squirrels I feed has started getting sores on the edges of both her ears. At first it looked like frostbite or cuts from fighting so I put some Eucerin lotion on her ears. But it seems to be getting worse. She has a new red scab on the inside of one ear and the other spots are not healing. If she has mites, would I be able to see them? I will see if I can get a photo.

Gabe
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I just have to ask, how wild is this squirrel if you are able to apply lotion to her ears? Is it crusty? Maybe mange? Especially if it seems to be spreading.

la dame à l'écureuil
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes, it is crusty and scabby. She is a wild squirrel but she has become very used to me. I am able to pet her and apply lotion to her ears. Is there something better than Eucerin that you would suggest?

Critter_Queen
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Are you able to capture her and place her with a rehabber? If she has mange, lotion won't help her and she will die from it if left untreated.

Do you know of a rehabber near you?

la dame à l'écureuil
02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I know of one who might be able to take her. It has been about 10 days since I first noticed the sores. They are only on her ears. Her coat seems fine.

island rehabber
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
could be a very bad case of ear mites.... I believe Ivermectin and Revolution are good treatments for any type of mange mite, and the vet you mentioned should know about both of these because they are also used on domestic pets.

la dame à l'écureuil
03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I put some Bacitracin on her ears for a few days and now the sores are all cleared up. She seems fine now, just a little less trusting of me. I don't think she liked the Bacitracin much.

eviejenn
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Great job! But I think you are going to have to offer up some pretty special treats to get back into her good graces.