PDA

View Full Version : 1cc or 3cc Syringes?

orquid009
09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
My squirrels are around 7-8 weeks old, strong, eyes open. Can I use 3cc syringes? Is it safe? Im also using the silicone mothering nipples that you can find at www.henryhealthyblocks.com

Nancy in New York
09-08-2012, 07:29 PM
My squirrels are around 7-8 weeks old, strong, eyes open. Can I use 3cc syringes? Is it safe? Im also using the silicone mothering nipples that you can find at www.henryhealthyblocks.com

Yes, you can go with the 3 cc syringes. Just remember that they do get more formula when going up to the 3 cc, so go really slowly. Sometimes I just find it easier to stay with the 1 cc though.:)

Milo's Mom
09-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Others may not agree with my methods but they work for me. Once my baby's are taking MORE than 20cc's PER FEEDING, I do jump to a 3cc syringe.

However, in doing so, I am VERY VERY careful and I ALWAYS have my fingers wrapped around the plunger so as to put more resistance on it. I have also only ever once had a single squirrel to feed. Mine have all been in groups of between 2 and 5.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
My general rule of thumb is if the baby is over 100 grams, they get a 3 cc syringe. If getting 20 ccs of formula, I use a 10 cc syringe (I am really careful and never have any issues, wouldn't recommend doing that to someone new to rehabbing though).

Nancy in New York
09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
My general rule of thumb is if the baby is over 100 grams, they get a 3 cc syringe. If getting 20 ccs of formula, I use a 10 cc syringe (I am really careful and never have any issues, wouldn't recommend doing that to someone new to rehabbing though).

What's after that a turkey baster? :poke :rotfl

Milo's Mom
09-08-2012, 07:40 PM
What's after that a turkey baster? :poke :rotfl
OMG!! :rofl4

Nancy, I just shot red wine all over my computer from my nose!

orquid009
09-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks To all of you.... A turkey baster? I laught so hard! That was so funny!

So far I did the first feeding using the 3cc syringe and it worked, it makes it easier, but definitely has to be done carefully, because one of them had a bit of formula coming through her nose.

Thanks again.:thankyou