PDA

View Full Version : kitten formula for baby flyer

crystal zimmers
09-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I was told to feed my baby flying squirrel that I rescued kitten formula. she is about 4-4 1/2 weeks old and seems to be doing good on it. I've had her almost a week now. But, I just found this website and have not seen anything about it. Is it ok or should i get the goats milk, heavy cream and yogurt?

pappy1264
09-07-2012, 05:48 AM
No, do not use kitten formula. The goats milk recipe, and order fox valley online.

Anne
09-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Flying squirrels need more fat and protein than any other squirrel. The kitten milk is worthless and doing harm. Get her off it now. Almost anything is better. Goat's milk is fine but she needs good quality formula and kitten milk is most differently not good anything for any squirrel. Vets just aren't educated on squirrels especially!!!!!!

crystal zimmers
09-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Thank you for the wonderful advice, i ran to the store this morning! But I am curious, is it ok to just keep her on the goat milk mixture.....I don't get payed till next Friday

Jackie in Tampa
09-07-2012, 08:04 AM
yes, you can keep her on the GM formula until your FV arrives..

Skul
09-08-2012, 07:13 AM
If you haven't seen the proper goat milk recipe, it's....
3 parts regular goat milk
1 part full-fat natural yogurt (Dannon vanilla is often used)
After a day or two, then add in 1 part heavy whipping cream, to the mix.

On the chance that only canned, concentrated goat milk is available, it must be diluted before measuring.

Being a tiny monster, use tablespoon measurements.
When the FV comes in, you can start transitioning to that. (takes a couple days)