PDA

View Full Version : Ailment on wild squirrel I feed

Nuttyfriend
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi, I just found this forum and am glad there is such a place for those who care for them. I feed a wild squirrel almost daily but have been on vacation for 10 days. She will take almonds and bread with peanut butter on it from my hand then backs off. My little friend came by yesterday and I noticed she had a growth or something wrong on her side. It looked very raw yesterday but today not so bad. I can't tell if she was in a fight or something like a bot fly (I looked at your ailments posts - glad to see something like that BTW).

Will try to post a picture but am not sure how yet. And frankly I am not sure what I am asking of anyone except that I feel bad she has the ailment. Maybe someone will recognize it and tell me what to do.

Thanks

Nuttyfriend
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Nuttyfriend]Hi, I just found this forum and am glad there is such a place for those who care for them. I feed a wild squirrel almost daily but have been on vacation for 10 days. She will take almonds and bread with peanut butter on it from my hand then backs off. My little friend came by yesterday and I noticed she had a growth or something bulging on her side. Most of the fur around it was gone - maybe she was licking or scratching the area. It looked very raw yesterday but today not so bad. I can't tell if she was in a fight or if she has something like a bot fly (I looked at your ailments posts - glad to see something like that BTW).

Will try to post a picture but am not sure how yet. And frankly I am not sure what I am asking of anyone except that I feel bad she has the ailment. Maybe someone will recognize it and tell me what to do.

Thanks

Nuttyfriend
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi, I just found this forum and am glad there is such a place for those who care for them. I feed a wild squirrel almost daily but have been on vacation for 10 days. She will take almonds and bread with peanut butter on it from my hand then backs off. My little friend came by yesterday and I noticed she had a growth or something bulging on her side. Most of the fur around it was gone - maybe she was licking or scratching the area. It looked very raw yesterday but today not so bad. I can't tell if she was in a fight or if she has something like a bot fly (I looked at your ailments posts - glad to see something like that BTW).

Thanks

Saverywood
09-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Poor darling. Any luck with posting a picture?

Nuttyfriend
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Hope this works

SammysMom
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
better?

CritterMom
09-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Hard to see on the big pics, but the thing on her side sure does look like a bot fly. If it is, when the larvae matures it will drop out and the wound will close and heal.

Hopefully someone will resize those so we can see them a little more clearly...

CritterMom
09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, that is a bot. They are just disgusting but a healthy squirrel will be just fine. Attempting to remove them will cause the larvae to dispense a toxin that can ill the squirrel, so juat be patient and one day it will be flat.

Nuttyfriend
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
ok, Thank you.

I bought a trap to capture her and bring her to a vet but won't now.

I appreciate your help.