PDA

View Full Version : Right Hardware cloth

nsquirrel
09-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Is this the correct hardware cloth to use for a release cage?

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Import-36X50-308200B-Hardware/dp/B0039MAHAY/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A1TLGX60ZNR8D5

CritterMom
09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Yup.

Heavier gauge wire can be bent and assembled without supports, the thinner gauge stuff will need to be stapled over a wooden frame.

If you are building a wood frame cage and stapling the hardware cloth onto it, do yourself a favor and buy an electric stapler - they are in the $40-$45 range at Home Depot/Lowes type places. It will be the best purchase you ever make - trying to do a cage with a hand stapler will result in you crippling yourself!

Anne
09-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Yup.

Heavier gauge wire can be bent and assembled without supports, the thinner gauge stuff will need to be stapled over a wooden frame.

If you are building a wood frame cage and stapling the hardware cloth onto it, do yourself a favor and buy an electric stapler - they are in the $40-$45 range at Home Depot/Lowes type places. It will be the best purchase you ever make - trying to do a cage with a hand stapler will result in you crippling yourself!

Plus the bills for in patient metal health are are horrendous!:jump

stosh2010
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Plus the bills for in patient metal health are are horrendous!:jump
IF YOUR SQUIRRELS WILL BE CLIMBING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAGE---protect CORNERS AND SHARP AREAS WHERE WIRE IS CUT OR WIRE ENDS...
use 2 LAYERS OF QUALITY DUCT TAPE...IT PROTECTS THEIR PAWS FROM RIPS AND PUNCTURES.
Not Pretty--Just SAFE

IrishHarps
09-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Just fyi, if there is a Home Depot or Lowes near you, check there for the hardware cloth - it may be cheaper.

jakcconnely
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Hardware Cloth - Wire Mesh-

Whenever I need some of this material, I usuall check Grainger or Mcmaster Carr industrial Supply.

If those two do not have it, and you cannot find the exact size or alloy (THIS IS IMPORTANT - PLAIN STEEL WILL RUST, USE STAINLESS) Check out a manufacturer - here is one in NJ that I have used for various wire mesh and wire cloth needs in the past:

http://www.bwire.com/index.html

SqrlyGirly
10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I have heard that the galvanized wire mesh (including all the options at Home Depot or Lowe's) are treated with Zinc, which can poison the squirrels if they touch the cage enough and clean themselves. Is this an issue?