PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Babies

Shonnuf
09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Hello, gang.

I have 6 babies. 2 are grown and almost ready for release and are in their own cage. The other 4 are about the same age, about 8 or 9 weeks old. The problem I am having is that 2 of these 4 (they are brother and sister) are very aggressive. When I reach in the cage to take them out to feed them, they growl, scratch, and bite. The other 2 squirrels are very peaceful and passive.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I separate the 4 squirrels into 2 cages: 1 cage for the aggressives and 1 cage for the passives?

2. How do I take the 2 aggressive ones to the vet for a check up or clean their cage or even feed them formula if I can't get near them?

3. Is it ok to just leave them alone with the exception of putting food in the cage? I feel so neglectful doing that.

4. How do I discourage their aggressive behavior towards me? Should I? Or will this temperment be beneficial once they are released?

5. MOST IMPORTANT: How and when do I release them? I mean, I see many of you talking about overwintering but a) I live in Florida and it's not that cold here (lowest of about 50 degrees) and b) I don't know how I can deal with them they way they are acting while trying to clean cages, etc. for months until spring.

HELP!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

~Shonna

Jackie in Tampa
09-05-2012, 02:21 AM
we have several members in Port orange, how are you feeding them if you cannot hold them?
I think if you pick them up in fleece and keep their faces covered they may feel more secure and eventually become friendlier...
They can be tigers:D
I will private message a few peeps to this thread that are in your area...:thumbsup

:Welcome :wave123

djarenspace9
09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey Shonna...I have a hectic morning right now and work but if you want
to PM me your number I'll give you a call on one of my breaks.
A lot of what concerns you are things that are learned from experience,
and I'd be happy to share mine with you and help in any way I can. :wave123

Gina
09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I think Jackie's suggestion of wrapping in fleece will make a big difference. Two of my current babies are paranoid - skitzo's. :crazy :crazy They will not take their formula any other way. They were both older when I got them so more wild then the others. I think the wrapping makes them feel safer from the monsters they imagine.:dono

daniellenc
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Is it true aggression or just spazzy baby squirrel behavior. My male is spooked by EVERYTHING!! When I go in the cage he runs and hides, and when i pry him out he protests by biting and scratching but he's just scared not mean. I wrap him up as Jackie suggested which helps though this morning he freaked while I was feeding him because my stomach growled, lmao it was hillarious. I would move slow with them, keeps things extra quiet, and keep them wrapped up when handling despite their squirming:)