PDA

View Full Version : New to raising squirells

jody
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
My daughters found two red fox squirells that had falles probably 50 ft out of a nest during the hurricane here in Lousianna
We warmed them and put them in a box
however the mother did not get them over about 8 hours - so we are raising them
I have visited multiple web sites and have them eating well - with goat milk
they appear to be about 5 weeks according to pictures on the internet
one of them has just opened one eye
My question is - they are urinating fine - but we have only seen one poop a little bit - we have had them since last thursday - almost a week
any suggestions?
Thanks

daniellenc
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Are you stimulating them still to poop and pee?? What are you mixing with the goats milk?? Have you ordered the fox valley yet?

astra
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM
could you post pics?

are you feeding them enough?
You need to get their weight in grams.
A rule of thumb for feeding is 5-7% of body weight. Some babies eat a bit more than that (but not by much or you will be overfeeding)

Are they constipated? - are their bellies tight and bloated?

Have you tried stimulating them in warm bath? - fill a dish with warm water just enough to dip their bottom up to their belly button or so.
Try stimulating gently that way.

But, most importantly - please provide detailed info on what, how much and how often you feed them.

ALittleNutty
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I am 3 hours away from you now, but that is my hometown. Thanks for taking these babies in. If I can be of any help just let me know.

jody
09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I have been watching their bellies - they do not get tight and full
They are both peeing a good bit - especially after I feed them
I am mixing the goat milk with water - sometimes I do not mix any water in
The boy opened his eyes today - so I think they are about 5 to 6 weeks old
I have been stimulating them with a warm qui tip - only one of them has pooped and it was just a small bit yesterday
Have had them since last thursday
They are getting very active and seem to be doing very well
I have been told not to take them off goat milk now since they are taking it so well and start them on hard food in about two weeks
Is that correct?
When can I put a water dish in thier cage?

I will try to post pictures - having trouble sending from my phone to computer

ALittleNutty
09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
You might want to try different things to stimulate them to poop.
I find stroking the tail just below the anus helps some of them.
Massaging their bellies and inside the creases of their legs (gently) will help get things moving.

I will let others address the changes that need to be made to their formula which is probably what is causing the lack of poop.

astra
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
from what it sounds like, most likely, it's lack of food/bulk that might be causing lack of poop.

Sorry for repeating myself: how many cc's per feeding do they eat and how often do they eat?
Again, they should be eating 5-7% of their body weight in grams

Watered down goat's milk formula does not have much to produce enough poop.
At this age they should be eating full strength formula.
Formula gets watered down for really tiny babies/pinkies and for those with weak GI tract/compromised in some way.
Other than that - full strength.

Another question: what is the recipe for the goat's milk formula? is it the formula that is posted in Squirrel NUtrition section here, or some other kind?

I don't know much about other kinds of goat's milk formula, but the one offered here on TSB is wonderful.
HOWEVER, as great as goat's milk formula is, whenever possible it is always better to transition to Fox Valley.

As for introducing other foods:

1. Their first solid food should be quality rodent block. Nothing else.
They may not eat it right away (will nibble, play, pee on it etc), but eventually they will. Having rodent block as their first solid food will establish their taste buds the right away and they will eat rodent block with pleasure for the rest of their squirrelly lives.
Establishing solid rodent block eating habit is crucial for the time, when they stop eating formula.
Once they stop eating formula - which is their insurance against MBD, rodent block will become their new insurance.
Without it, they will succumb to MBD sooner or later.

As for what kind of block,
the best option is Henry's Healthy Block or HHB that was formulated specifically for squirrels; can be ordered from www.henryspets.com;
2 per day per squirrel is enough.

people also buy commercial block at pet stores: Kaytee forti diet for rat and mice (blueish bag, not green), Mazuri; order online Harlan Teklad (I think, it can be purchased at www.thecraftyrat.com) - different people buy different types. So, if you decide to go with Harlan Teklad, it will be best to ask in a separate thread which type to buy
COmmercial block portions should be more than 2 per day.
In fact, a lot of rehabbers keep a bowl full of block in the cage at all times.

2. AFTER the squirrels begin to eat block with pleasure and no fuss, you can start introducing good veggies - Please refer to the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels in Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. Nuts and fruit - TREATS ONLY! 1-2 pieces per day.

4. BUT MOST IMPORTANT - all along, even after block and veggies are introduced, they should continue to eat formula!
Never wean them off formula.
Let them wean themselves, but until they, themselves, completely refuse it - let them eat it: as much and for as long as possible.

Because formula should be part of their menu for as long as possible (and many squirrels eat formula well into their release), it is worth switching to Fox Valley

Please check this out in Squirrel Nutrition forum: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218

------------------
But going back to the no-poop issue:

1. do not add water to formula anymore. Formula should be full strength
2. is the goat's milk formula recipe from TSB or somewhere else? (b/c if it is not like TSB's, it might be inferior - needs to be checked)
3. switching to Fox Valley might be the way to go
4. And how much do they eat per feeding? and how often are their feedings?

A more detailed info about what and how much and how often they eat will help TSB experts to make suggestions
:grouphug