PDA

View Full Version : Need Cage Advise asap please! :)

Thumper33
08-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Pinky climbed out of her plastic bin last night, so it's time for a cage. I want to get a nice big cage as I have all the room I want for it. Is there such a thing as too big of a cage? I understand that tall ferrit cages make great cages as long as the bars are no more than 1/2" apart. She is about 6 weeks old, fully furred, and eyes opened just a day or two ago. I'm hoping to get a cage tonight or tomorrow off of craigslist, so please answer asap :) Advice is greatly appreciated.

Milo's Mom
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes, ideally the bigger the cage the better, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW. If she just crawled out of her bin, she needs to go into a stage 2 cage, then stage 3 when she's bigger, then stage 4, which is the pre-release cage.

Caging is one of the "expenses" we talk about when we ask if someone is REALLY able and willing to make the commitment of raising a squirrel.

She cannot go into a huge cage right now, she's too little and she's still unsure of herself, the bigger the cage the further they have to fall and the more they get hurt.

My stage 2 cage is 4' long, 2' high and 2' deep.

pappy1264
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Pick up a small parakeet cage or smaller small animal cage, so she cannot get hurt if she climbs. Then after you would move her up to a bigger cage, but wouldn't go too big too quick. And even when you do, be sure to put some hammocks in to prevent a fall all the way from the top.

Thumper33
08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I totally understand now.

So here's the next question. I found someone on Craigslist:

"Have TONS of used or non used cages for all types of critters...everything from bird cages to ferret cages to rat/hamster/bunny/guinea pig/ mouse cages. Will take $10 a cage and gladly through in any extra supplies we have. We have food/water crocks, hidy huts, etc. IF you want more than one cage I will gladly discount for you. We were storing these items for someone who said they don't want it back. We just want it out of our basement."

With any luck, I want to go there and get all the cages I'll need. Can someone give me some ideal dimensions that I'm looking for for each of the stages of cages and I'll go and pick them all up now. It seems like too good of an opportunity to do it any other way. :alright.gif

SammysMom
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
You just don't want something that is too tall for her now. Think falling possibilities. After this stage bigger is better so have fun!

Thumper33
09-14-2012, 06:44 PM
so at what age do I move her to the stage 3 cage? She's now climbing around the stage 2 cage really well. I don't think she's really in need of something bigger yet, but it seems like it shouldn't be too far off. :)

CrazySquirrelLady
09-14-2012, 07:11 PM
eeekkk! I did not know this. We need cage sticky please.

I was going to put mine in a cage from Henry's ... tomorrow! eeeekkk!

Is that cage too big for first cage? I am beginning to think so, and I only bought one Hammock.

rainrshine
09-14-2012, 07:33 PM
eeekkk! I did not know this. We need cage sticky please.

I was going to put mine in a cage from Henry's ... tomorrow! eeeekkk!

Is that cage too big for first cage? I am beginning to think so, and I only bought one Hammock.

:poke I didn't think of this either. Hubby was busy designing the luxury condo for Chester! I think the high rise apt building with a penthouse suite will have to wait a little while!

treeman
09-14-2012, 08:37 PM
This is the set-up that I use (plus branches & toys not shown) for babies in "Stage 2" as Milo's Mom called it :thumbsup The cage and the nest box are available at most pet stores and costs about $50 all together. Craigslist usually has an abundance of these cages too. You don't want anything real big yet, but for a pre-release/adult squirrel big is good.