PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer's Intro

Forest Haven
08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I will be acquiring three squirrels soon and I've been reading all I can on the care they will require. I thought that this forum looked like a good source of info, so I will probably be asking questions that have been asked a hundred times over :)

I plan to care for the squirrels over the winter and release them in the spring, but I would like to know if they would survive, with my assistance, in the woods during winter? I realize that they can get out of control when they start reaching 4-6 months, so I wanted to be sure they would survive capably at around 4 months old.

I am also interested in homemade squirrel food to cut down on costs and improve their health.

Thank you in advance!

Forest Haven

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me liberty or give me death!” ~ Patrick Henry

stosh2010
08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
W-E-L-C-O-M-E to T.S.B.
Glad to Have YOU Aboard

>>> from Rama Rota & Cruiser & RamaMama and Stosh

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
If the squirrels are Young..I recomend Fox valley formula ( 20/50)for at least 4 months. If Missouri winters get very cold... I'd hope you keep them till spring. Autumn is just around the corner. They can--and will get frisky as they grow, and should have a cage large enough for all 3 to climb and play. Are they grey squirrels. Can you post a photo of the boys (?) from whom ever has them now? I can post for you--if you send them to my e-mail stosh@jpcfl.com

Fox Valley @
http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm
http://www.henryspets.com/

We also start all our squirrels out on HHB (at henryspet.com) around 7 weeks old -
It's a Daily supplement squirrel block that is given in the AM along with a healthy diet.

Healthy Squirrel Diet:

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=28009

stosh2010
08-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I will be acquiring three squirrels soon and I've been reading all I can on the care they will require. I thought that this forum looked like a good source of info, so I will probably be asking questions that have been asked a hundred times over :)

Remember the only Bad Question.........Is the One You DIDN"T Ask...
All you need to know is here ( somewhere...ha !) TSB loves to Help.

Anne
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
:Welcome And Hello! Scroll down to the nutrition section and check out the healthy diet. Done right and without a tremendous amount of squirrels, feeding shouldn't brake the bank.
Releasing in winter or very near the start of winter can be very hard on human raised young squirrels, they can't fall back on what or how Mama did it. Much kinder to wait for spring and plenty of natures bounty to eat.
We love to help and answer questions. We also really love lots of posted pictures of squirrels.

Kelly Brady
08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Welcome to The Squirrel Board:wave123

Forest Haven
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. Missouri winters the past couple years have been pretty mild with no snow, but I'll just have to see how things go. I don't have any pics of the squirrels, which are all girls(!), but I will try to post when I finally receive them next week.

I realize that the squirrel blocks are the healthiest things for them, but I don't have the funds to buy them, so I might end up making my own. Otherwise, they will get plenty of fresh veggies and wild foods.

I've posted a thread in the cage/habitat portion asking for advice on cage size requirements, if you wouldn't mind reading the info I've given and giving any advice you have. I would appreciate anybody's help.

Thank you again for the welcome!

SammysMom
08-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Blocks, either HHBs or homemade, are a MUST. Veggies and fruits are not enough for the winter. There is a recipe for blocks here in the nutrition forum. As for release, think "leaves". They need to be on the trees for cover and nesting etc. It isn't just the temperature that decides the safety for release.
Welcome!!!

Forest Haven
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I have the recipe for squirrel blocks, but I was wondering what brand of whey protein you recommend? Maybe this should be in the nutrition section, but I hate to string out all my questions in different parts of the internet world.

Forest Haven
09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE] They can--and will get frisky as they grow, and should have a cage large enough for all 3 to climb and play. Are they grey squirrels. [QUOTE]

What would you consider a large enough cage? They are grey squirrels.