PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rican release and other squirrel neighbours

s.simons
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I have my 2 babies Mickey and Minnie and they are doing great. We made a release cage for outside, just have to put the branches and get it all decked out. I have a couple of concerns. Lately I have been feeding them on the front balcony and letting them look out at the front. We have 2 large almond trees in the front along with a lot of other flora. We our about 100 metres from rainforest which is fairly undeveloped.

So, the past couple days while I've been feeding them I've noticed a Mom squirrel and her baby (looks to be around the same age as my girls, if not a bit younger), I know I've heard squirrels are very territorial so I'm concerned when I do release what should I expect from her? She watches my girls very closely while we are outside.

She is the only squirrel I have noticed on our property so I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any insight!

JLM27
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Moms tend to try to protect the territory for their own young. She may chase them off. Sorry. Life is hard when you don't have a mama to look out for your interests.

daniellenc
08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Your girl will figure out how to avoid them in all likelihood. My neighborhood is swimming with squirrels and we'll see chasing, posturing, and grunting from time to time but they have to figure out where they belong- she'll know if she barks up the wrong tree and go to another:)

stosh2010
08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
What are the dimensions of the cage? Make the "release door" small enough that a racoon or same size predator can't get inside.
PHOTOS ??? ( send me some ) Thanks.

stosh2010
09-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Hola !
When you get the time --e-mail me front and both side photos of your new cage. Thanks...
& I'll post them here.