PDA

View Full Version : Best Cage Temps??

daniellenc
08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Right now frick and frack are in a temp controlled cage using a helistat thermostat set at 83 degrees with a differential of +2 meaning once it hits 85 degrees it shuts off until it hits 82. They have been spending most their time balled up together in a fleece bag with fleece sheets rolled in so it is pretty warm.

My question is could this be too warm or cool?? What temps do you keep your cages at? They are about 5 weeks with eyes open and I have read they start producing their own body heat so at what point is outside heat unneeded??
Thanks,
Danielle

stepnstone
08-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Right now frick and frack are in a temp controlled cage using a helistat thermostat set at 83 degrees with a differential of +2 meaning once it hits 85 degrees it shuts off until it hits 82. They have been spending most their time balled up together in a fleece bag with fleece sheets rolled in so it is pretty warm.
My question is could this be too warm or cool?? What temps do you keep your cages at? They are about 5 weeks with eyes open and I have read they start producing their own body heat so at what point is outside heat unneeded??
Thanks,
Danielle

Due to eyes closed babies not being able to thermoregulate, their surrounding temperture should be kept between 85-95 f degrees. Of course neonates are kept higher at 90-95.
Once the babies eyes are open you can start dropping the temp gradually but you do not want any extreame fluctuation as even older juvenilies may still need that extra heat source.
It's suggested that over time/gradually you can adjust to room temp. But I would think in my opinion that would depend on how you maintain the temp. in your home or at least the area they are housed in. Since most of us have air condition, the room temp may not be suited for a young juvenile and a heat source providing a warmer temp may still be required.

daniellenc
08-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Thanks for your response their eyes are open and I just noticed at my 4 am feeding the males ears are up!! They are kept in our spare bedroom that tends to be warmer from the afternoon son and using a temp gun the mat is 85 but their little warm nest closer to 90 with fleece conducting heat well apparently. Would you bump the mat up or leave as is at this point??

And the mat is on an actual thermostat so I can make as exact as you recommend:)

island rehabber
08-25-2012, 08:01 AM
88-90* is perfect and what I use for the first 1-4 weeks of age. After that I let it go down to around 85* and make sure the babies have a definite area of their container that has no heat, so they can cool off if needed. Be careful of that sun as it changes position over the coming weeks; it may be stronger during the day and really heat the babies up. :)

daniellenc
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you I have also been taking ambient temps in the room and they are not near the window or in any direct sunlight. The mat is only under a third of the cage but I know rats, kittens, and even puppies at times for whatever reason won't move away from excessive heat even with a cool area which makes me paranoid, lol. I've been temp gunning as often as I have been feeding:shakehead

stepnstone
08-25-2012, 09:32 AM
88-90* is perfect and what I use for the first 1-4 weeks of age. After that I let it go down to around 85* and make sure the babies have a definite area of their container that has no heat, so they can cool off if needed. Be careful of that sun as it changes position over the coming weeks; it may be stronger during the day and really heat the babies up. :)

:goodpost :thankyou

Thank you I have also been taking ambient temps in the room and they are not near the window or in any direct sunlight. The mat is only under a third of the cage but I know rats, kittens, and even puppies at times for whatever reason won't move away from excessive heat even with a cool area which makes me paranoid, lol. I've been temp gunning as often as I have been feeding:shakehead

Squirrels got smarts... :rotfl

daniellenc
08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I sure hope so they also have sharp teefs when their hungry, lol boy these guys are really perking up today and all over the place when taken out for feeding and bathroom breaks.

Baby girl pooped on her own while I was feeding her brother and both squirm and nibble while I am trying to get them to go. I even dug out my snake gloves today because while I am finding pee in a poop here and there in the cage neither is fully expressing themselves yet and I kinda like all my fingers intact:D