PDA

View Full Version : Can I separate baby squirrels from eachother? They keep eating at each other

Squirrel0124
08-24-2012, 12:24 PM
I have four baby squirrels and they have been eating each others hair around the ears and side of face. Can I separate one from the other 3 or do they need to be with each other? They are all eating the hair at times and their is one baby that is getting picked on the most (the runt) and is it ok to separate him so he is by himself in a different cage? They are about 6 weeks old now and I have had them for 12 days. I currently feed them organic goats milk mixed with organic goat yogurt out of a baby animal bottle. They love this mixture and eat every 4 hours. I can't figure out why they keep eating each other? They have lots of room to play and they also get about 2 almonds each a day. Any thoughts or suggestions. Also I bought a puppy shampoo for them called bio spot and I want to know if this is safe to wash them in to eliminate any potential pest problems. I don't want to use until I know it is safe. It kills flees ticks and lice it contains Active Ingredients:
Methoprene 0.10%
Pyrethrins 0.15%
Piperonyl 1.50%

Thanks

Other ingredients: 99.39%

SammysMom
08-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome to TSB! They may be hungry as I don't think there is enough fat content in what they are eating. I will look p the goats milk recipe that is used here but I know it contains full fat yogurt and sometimes heavy cream. I will leave the shampoo question to the experts. I used a drop of Revolution on Sammy when he was a little guy and that did it for any "pests".
Be right along with the recipe but you might also consider trying Fox Valley formula which can be ordered online at http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

This recipe will ensure that your baby will be well nourished until your order from Fox Valley arrives. Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
Please note, this website has several links that still mention Esbilac and we need to keep these links active as they do contain excellent information so please keep in mind that Fox Valley is now the formula of choice for raising baby squirrels.

Squirrel0124
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Currently I am using Meyenberg Goat Milk and Natural Grade A Redwood Hill Farm Plain Goat Milk Yougurt mixed together. The total fat in the yogurt is 4.5 grams in a 6 oz serving and the goat milk is 7 grams of total fat on a 1 cup serving size. I will add the whole cream if you think that would help.

SammysMom
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I actually think that it might not be enough fat in the goat's milk yogurt. Let's wait until other experts chime in because I am NO EXPERT. I am sure they will be along shortly!:thumbsup

grinn75
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
The Goat's milk formula is intended only as a temporary formula. It does not have the proper nutrition for long term use and continued growth. I recommend slowly switching to a wildlife formula. Fox valley or zoologic, are the industry standards. Also, if they are 6 weeks they should start on solids at this point. Healthy veggies and some form of rodent block. Please look at he healthy diet for pet squirrels as a guideline, http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218 . Once they are closer to release age, 10-12 weeks, they should be exposed to wild foods as well. This should help satisfy their hungry tummies and stop the suckling and chewing.:)

As for the shampoo, I would not use it!:nono Pyrethrins can be very dangerous for such little animals. If you need something to help with fleas then revolution is your best option. Just a drop will do.