PDA

View Full Version : New to Squirrels

Arna
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Hello every one. I'm Katie but feel free to call me Arna as it's my nick name. I have always loved watching squirrels growing up and always wanted to pet one but didn't even think of owning one.
Last Saturday my friend had part of a nest break and one baby fall on top of her mobil home. We tried to get him back to mom but she never got him after Mel took him when male squirrels kept trying to get him and mom only had time to fend them off. At least that's to my knowledge.

Mel would have rehabed him had it not been for her work she knows that I've nursed sugar gliders back to life and that I had the time so here I am. I've checked the rehabilitation centers around her all to my knowledge are all full.

I am enjoying him, but I haven't named him so if he can be released I'm not super attached... Not that I'm not already. But I have two sugar gliders that are very jealous in nature and get mad when I hang with my rat. Also my dad would have a fit.

Somethings about me, I love almost every animal there is maybe not inscets but I don't consider them an animal much. I tend to lean towards fuzzy critters than ones with scales as I have never been around them much, I'm 18 years old and still searching for what I want to do in life. I was thinking of a vet tech, or councilor, however this squirrel raised another question on what to do.

Any tips would be great and I am excited to get to know you all. Also I want to thank Rhapsody for helping to save my squirrel from bloat I am so glad I found this forum and her in time to save him

Have a fantastic day and sorry for the novel.

HRT4SQRLS
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I am enjoying him, but I haven't named him so if he can be released I'm not super attached... Not that I'm not already.

:wave123 Arna

:Welcome to TSB
Oh, go ahead, name him........... no matter what you do he'll steal your heart, so go ahead and name him. All of the released squirrels around here have names. :rotfl :rotfl

Arna
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM
:dono I don't know what to name him. The friend who found him called him August but not sure if it fits. I just don't know. Suggestions are welcome. :D And you are right he already has stolen my heart :Love_Icon

Skul
08-24-2012, 06:39 PM
A name is the least of your worries.
I know it sounds funny, but, sooner or later, they "tell" you.
It may be tomorrow, it may be next week.
Just take care of him, and keep the suggies away.

rocky63
08-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Hello Arna :wave123
You have come to the right place for learning about Squirrels.:multi
There is lots of information here and a lot of great concerned animal lovers to learn from.
keep up the good work with your little one and don't be afraid to ask questions.:alright.gif
OH by the way we love pictures.:poke :flash

Arna
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I'll get some pictures tomorrow if nothing comes up.

Also as for keeping sugar gliders away how far would that be? I have only one room that I can use at the moment. I can possibly move the gliders into my bathroom if I had to. I don't show the squirrel the gliders or visa versa as my gliders would be up in arms and throwing their food at me in jealousy, Well maybe not the food part but they have been know to chuck peas great distances. :tilt