PDA

View Full Version : spike

creekpig
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Hello everyone! I have very much enjoyed reading this forum and have learned so much. About three weeks ago my son found a baby squirrel in our yard, we tried to give it back to the mom but she would not take it. I would see her climb our palm tree and would leave the baby at the base, but she didn't take it. Two days later, it died and our whole family was heart broken. Two days later, my dog found and tried to snack on another baby in the back yard. We took him in and I estimate him to be between 6/7 wks. His eyes were just opening when we got him. We had him on esbilac then he had diarhhrea, so now he's on the goats milk formula. I did not realize this was a temporary formula, so I will order the fox valley tomorrow. His poop is mustard color and not solid but not diahhrea, is this how it is supposed to be on the gmf?

Rhapsody
08-23-2012, 01:06 AM
If the poop is a little soft he maybe getting to much formula at each feeding...... the base rule is to feed 5-7% of their body weight.
--and with him being 6 weeks old he can be feed every six weeks. (no late night feeding required)

If your goats milk comes in the can, please make sure you are diluting it with water before you mix it with the yogurt and heavy cream.

Homemade GM Recipe - until FV arrives

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

Sweet Simon's Mommy
08-23-2012, 04:25 AM
If the poop is a little soft he maybe getting to much formula at each feeding...... the base rule is to feed 5-7% of their body weight.
--and with him being 6 weeks old he can be feed every six weeks. (no late night feeding required)

If your goats milk comes in the can, please make sure you are diluting it with water before you mix it with the yogurt and heavy cream.

Homemade GM Recipe - until FV arrives

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

I think you mean he can be fed every 6 HOURS>>>:D

Rhapsody
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I think you mean he can be fed every 6 HOURS>>>:DYes I DID ---Thank YOU......... :sanp3

creekpig
08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I am currently trying to find a rehabber in our area. I don't know how to raise a squirrel or get him ready to be released back to his home. It will be sad for me and the kids to see him go, but I know it will be the best thing for him.

creekpig
08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I turned Spike over to a wildlife rehabilitation center today. I was so sad and happy at the same time. They said they have a female squirrel there his age so that is great! They said he was in great condition and offered to send me information about classes to become a rehabber. Thanks to everyone here for posting so much squirrel knowledge, spike surely appreciated it. :crazy

creekpig
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I turned Spike over to a wildlife rehabilitation center today. I was so sad and happy at the same time. They said they have a female squirrel there his age so that is great! They said he was in great condition and offered to send me information about classes to become a rehabber. Thanks to everyone here for posting so much squirrel knowledge, spike surely appreciated it. :crazy
Looking at all the squirrel pics on this forum, I'm starting to have spike withdrawals. :(