PDA

View Full Version : No takers in my region.

ZonaB
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
O.k. I live in East Tennessee and the wildlife in my region is in constant need of a helping hands.
Now that I have SOME experience I have gotten at least three calls from my friends/family/peers looking for someone to help with this baby or that.
I had opossums and was able to put together two seperate litters and raise them past weaning with no problem.
Afterwords I was LUCKY to know a woman who (although not a professional) has more knowledge about release.
What I'm getting at is this.
I do not want to get a liciense as I am a freshmen in collage and do not have the time to raise more than one set of babies at a time.
I want to be on the right side of the law regarding wild life but am not ready to have my name and number out to all of the east tn reagion to contact me as I simply cannot help them all.
I would love to work as an understudy but no one will accept me because, well, there is no one.
I have done the online searches to find the rehabbers closest and there was one within an hour but she quit. All others are atleast two hours out.
Most people I know just aren't willing to go for the drive and to be honest there is a need here, in my town.
There is so much needy wildlife where I am.
If anyone has advice/oopenions let me know.:dono

Jackie in Tampa
08-22-2012, 10:43 AM
sounds perfect the way it is...
you know your limits and abilities..:bowdown
and it sounds like you are needed since no one else in your area..
do the best you can...ask for help when you need it.
I am not LR either...ten years and probably several hundred sqs later..
me either..my name is out there enough as I want it to be!:D
it's not!
and I stay full!
wink*
sounds like it's working for you, just the way it is!:thumbsup
where are you in Tennessee?

ZonaB
08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
The closest rehabber is in Knoxville. I am closer to Norris Tn but the LR had quit. :/
I am happy to contuine working with the little ones I just worry about legalities.
I don't think I will get in trouble but I would really like to be able to go to a vet if I need to.
Do you ever have issues with this?

Jackie in Tampa
08-22-2012, 11:15 AM
The closest rehabber is in Knoxville. I am closer to Norris Tn but the LR had quit. :/
I am happy to contuine working with the little ones I just worry about legalities.
I don't think I will get in trouble but I would really like to be able to go to a vet if I need to.
Do you ever have issues with this?
I am in a legal state..vets in florida can treat sqs for the public if they choose.
I will do a search for you ..see if I can find anyone near you!:thumbsup
We do have tenn members...:)

ZonaB
08-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I want to keep and care for the two I have now.
I've gotten really attatched!
They are doing really well and I am so proud of them!
Thank you!

TN Flyers
12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Although I'm not a rehaber, I am a permitted for Flying Squirrel possession and breeding. If you are helping a flyer I may be able to help you.

island rehabber
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Although I'm not a rehaber, I am a permitted for Flying Squirrel possession and breeding. If you are helping a flyer I may be able to help you.
Good to know -- you might want to start a thread in the Flying Squirrel forum, too.

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

JUST A REMINDER: FLying squirrels are the ONLY breed of squirrel that The Squirrel Board condones keeping as pets.

Keschete
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't know the law in Tennessee, but here in Louisiana, wildlife and fisheries is way more worried about people violating hunting laws and fishing laws than people helping orphaned and injured wildlife.

If you are releasing what you take in, usually they will leave you alone. There are so many babies in need and it is a blessing for them that the public will actually help.

As long as you aren't fooling with anything that has Federal Protection like birds or endangered animals.....

You can ask questions here to those of us who have rehabbed many years and you can post pictures of anything you are concerned about.

I personally can describe how to build a pre-release cage, there is so much on the internet that can aid you as you raise your babies for release.