PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel's Temperature

mdyoung216
08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I have noticed that people that are treating squirrels seem to gauge the squirrel's temperature based on what they observe, so I was wondering, what is a squirrel's temperature supposed to be? Does anyone actually use a thermometer to check? Could you use one of the Braun thermometers that go in the ear?

Rhapsody
08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
When we talk about a squirrels temp we are being concerned about the little ones that are not big enough to regulate their own body temperature (under 6 wks)...... we do this by placing a heating pad in their cage with a blanket over it and make sure they have space in the cage where there is no heat and they can get to this space in case they need to cool off.

mdyoung216
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
When we talk about a squirrels temp we are being concerned about the little ones that are not big enough to regulate their own body temperature (under 6 wks)...... we do this by placing a heating pad in their cage with a blanket over it and make sure they have space in the cage where there is no heat and they can get to this space in case they need to cool off.

I read in one discussion, people suspected a fever, but no one suggested taking the squirrel's temperature. They just started with Motrin and antibotics. Just seemed that checking the actual temperature would be the thing to do to be sure.

Thanks

mdyoung216
09-02-2012, 09:22 AM
If anyone cares, I found the answer.

http://www.northcountrywildcare.org/animalcare/emergencysquirrel.pdf

"The normal temperature for a squirrel is 99 degrees, which is close to that of our own temperature of 98.6 degrees."