PDA

View Full Version : Hola from Costa Rica... Meet Rocket!

Gonzotron
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Greetings from Costa Rica. Rescued a Red Tailed a few months ago and just found you guys. Her name is Rocket (I know its cheesy) Shes super awesome and happy. Likes to sleep in my armpit or under my pillow. Ill upload some pics as soon as I figure out how to. Much love, GT.

BamaHam
08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
:Welcome You came to right place. Best wishes raising baby. Let TSB know if you vr need advice.:tilt

Rhapsody
08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
HELLO & WELCOME...... :wave123
I always use PhotoBucket.com to upload my pics...... they reasize them just right for you.

island rehabber
08-21-2012, 07:40 AM
:WelcomeGonzotron! I just gave you full access, so now we want to see some pix.

You realize you are in good company in Costa Rica with some of our other members there, right? Check out Rama Rota, the King of Costa Rica, and the Cruiser Dude. :D
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=784505#post784505

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32881&highlight=cruiser

Jackie in Tampa
08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
:Welcome :wave123

stosh2010
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
W-E-L-C-O-M-E to T.S.B.
Glad to Have YOU Aboard

>>> from Rama Rota & Cruiser & RamaMama and Stosh

GLAD to have ANOTHER CR member...Where in Costa Rica are you...I'm in Playas del Coco in Guanacaste...

stosh2010
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
If you wish......Send me an e-mail with PHOTOS of Rocket...and I'll post them HERE

stosh@jpcfl.com

shellyb1018
08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
:Welcome

stosh2010
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
This is ROCKET...similar to my Rama Rota, when he was a YOUTH... . She is little darker brown in color. She has freeedom to go in and out of the house, was released and came home ( ate thru a screen to get back inside). Rocket lives with 2 dogs YIKES !!! I warned her owner ( Chase )that dogs can and will be a danger to ROCKET.

mrs.rudy2
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
What a beautiful baby!!

Gonzotron
08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Taking Stosh's advice and going to keep the dogs and Rocket away from each other. Although my dogs are super tame, I would feel terrible if there was an accident. :(

stosh2010
09-06-2012, 03:33 PM
NEED a R-O-C-K-E-T update...( and BTW...how did you make out with the QUAKE ?)

send me more photos to post HERE !!!!

Gonzotron
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Rocket, my family and the dogs all survived the quake. (SCARY!) Spent yesterday cleaning up broken glass and fallen debris in the yard. I took Stosh's advice on building him a cage. Building it high. Its going to be 10ft high, 5ft wide and 3ft deep. Its still in pieces but ill post pics when its complete. Rocket is happy and healthy. Got out yesterday through a broken window and came home when he was hungry. Guess I'm stuck with the bugger.

CrazySquirrelLady
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
HOLA!

Welcome :D

Hugs
CSL

Garden71
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
:Welcome What a beauty love to see more pics of ROCKET.:thumbsup

stosh2010
09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Garden71 wrote:
What a beauty love to see more pics of ROCKET
YOU send-'em

I'LL post -'em

stosh2010
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Here is an e-mail from Chase...Rocket's Dad :
Hola Stosh,

Sorry I've been MIA. Work has been super busy. Finally got Rocket'scage finished and is a part of the family again. Here are some pics. I would like to paint it (safe paint) and also what would be good to put
in for him to play.
Thanks Stosh --hope you and your family are well.
Chase_____________________________________________ ________________________________________

Chase, I don't know why you'd want to paint it ? She will chew every corner on the exposed wood -over time.
BUT...

TSB...what is a SAFE paint ? ? for squirrel cages. remember-we are in Costa Rica...ha !

stosh2010
10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Here is another VIEW of ROCKET's cage.. ( photo #1).a second --higher level is planned --to hold his Nest Box.

################################################## ################################################## #####

When you build his nest box..some squirrels like a small entry opening...but my boys like an OPEN top..( see photo #2).Be sure to fill with pieces of fleece, and Rocket will burrow down and make a cave/nest under them. I also give them soft , paper,table napkins--which they shred and make it comfy inside thier nest.
I also build SQUIRREL RAMPS ( GANG-PLANKS... SEE PHOTO #3) and they love to climb on them

Add thick branches and ROCKET will be thrilled, They like to lay on FAT branches.( see photo #4 )
Almendra & Gyayaba branches. ( Cruiser's favorite tree) make great additions.
I use zip ties to attach smaller, fresh branches to the larger "dead" ones in their cages.

stosh2010
10-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I had shelves built into Rama's castle, { I didn't biuild it...I just designed it}but you can add a shelf(s) at different levels with long legs to support them.

Just showing you to give you some ideas, Your cage is great. But Rocket needs a nest box asap.

stosh2010
10-20-2012, 04:44 PM
here are some NEW photos of ROCKET _________________Chase sent them to me ...so I made a collage.
BEAUTIFUL squirrel..he has much more "cinnamon color" that even the KING.

Chickenlegs
10-20-2012, 06:12 PM
OBOY! another Costa Rican beauty!

Skul
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh my, another Rama. :rotfl

Gonzotron
11-07-2012, 03:17 PM
So Rocket is smarter than the dogs. Teases them while he eats. Ill get some pics when the camera is close next time. Its fun watching them interact while in the cage.

Skul
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Seems all squirrels are good at tormenting dogs. :D :rotfl

Gonzotron
12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Rocket Update:
Work has been super busy and Rocket was stuck in the cage most days b/c of the dogs. So the second attempt to let him go was a lot more successful. I moved his cage outside for about a week so he could acclimate. And about 10 days ago propped the door open. I still fill his food bowl and water every day so he shows up and sunrise to eat, wake us up and still teases the dogs. We dont let him in the house anymore, but he hangs out on the patio most days and when he sees you walking up the driveway he clicks so loud you can here it from inside the house and fancies sunbathing in the pipa tree.

I feel like the first time I tried to release him he was to young. Will rescue again:)

island rehabber
12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Good job, Gonzo! He is out in the trees where he belongs and he's got you to help him with good yummies and an eye on those dogs, too,. Keep an eye on him for awhile. It would be better if he took up residence elsewhere, just to put more distance between him and the pooches.

stosh2010
12-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Glad to hear ROCKET is doing OK in the wild.....
Merry Christmas....
I have 3 now....(links to their threads- below)

Gonzotron
02-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Update,
Rocket comes around almost everyday. Has himself a girlfriend (black tail?) that we see maybe once a week. The pipas he chews up, one of our dogs use as a chew toys. Pretty cool. Made a new nest in our almond tree. He looks happy and healthy. I'll take some pics next week if im home.

stosh2010
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Update,
Rocket comes around almost everyday. Has himself a girlfriend (black tail?) that we see maybe once a week. The pipas he chews up, one of our dogs use as a chew toys. Pretty cool. Made a new nest in our almond tree. He looks happy and healthy. I'll take some pics next week if im home.
I'm Gonna Count on THAT !!! I Need to see ROCKET in all his Glorious colors....

PS-- I have 5 NOW....

Gonzotron
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
You got it Stosh, leaving for Turrialba tomorrow for a wedding. Ill grab some pics or a vid of him when I get back. Or when he decides to show up:)

stosh2010
02-28-2013, 07:12 PM
You got it Stosh, leaving for Turrialba tomorrow for a wedding. Ill grab some pics or a vid of him when I get back. Or when he decides to show up:)
Will you get to visit the Turrialba Volcano ?

Gonzotron
02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I wish! Just the wedding on Sat. then heading back to Esterillos Sunday. My first Tico wedding so it should be fun... I hope. I'll head up north when I get some time and meet you and the cuties when slow season comes around.

stosh2010
03-01-2013, 07:02 AM
I wish! Just the wedding on Sat. then heading back to Esterillos Sunday. My first Tico wedding so it should be fun... I hope. I'll head up north when I get some time and meet you and the cuties when slow season comes around.
That would be AMAZING--- Spend a nite..if ya wish !!!!

Gonzotron
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Finally home and had the camera around. Got a quick vid of Rockets daily visit.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgBdYBrNMs) I left his cage outside and fill his bowl on top everyday full of snacks.
Sorry I don't know how to post a URL properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgBdYBrNMs

stosh2010
03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Finally home and had the camera around. Got a quick vid of Rockets daily visit.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgBdYBrNMs) I left his cage outside and fill his bowl on top everyday full of snacks.
Sorry I don't know how to post a URL properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufgBdYBrNMs
Chase, I finally got to see the ROCKET Video...
I have two Brothers-Claro & Oscuro-----and Oscuro looks like Rocket.

Gonzotron
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't know how to post a pic but here is a link. Rocket and I eating sunflower seeds. My girlfriend got the shot. Funny.
http://i.imgur.com/4G4O3JU.jpg

island rehabber
03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Don't know how to post a pic but here is a link. Rocket and I eating sunflower seeds. My girlfriend got the shot. Funny.
http://i.imgur.com/4G4O3JU.jpg

:jump nice tile!!

stosh2010
03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Chase,
Claws against skin..a climbing , squirming, scratching squirrel... Get the band-aids...Ha !

MJS
03-23-2013, 07:50 PM
:wave123 IS THAT A SQUIRREL IN YOUR SHORTS... OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME???? :jump :jump :jump :jump

stosh2010
03-23-2013, 08:02 PM
I just found two ROCKET photos that Chase had e-mailed to me long time ago...sorry for the delay but HERE'S........ROCKET

Gonzotron
03-24-2013, 12:38 AM
He usually just jumps on me. I think he just missed. It was a hot and humid that day in Esterillos. He got out of there fast. I stunk! So funny.