PDA

View Full Version : now diarrhea

C*ndy
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
:thinking Nibbles has diarrhea now. within a 1/2 hour, from hard to soft to liquid! Been on yogurt the last few days......had a shot this morning of kenalog and penicillin from vet, plus fluids. Just gave him his 1cc amoxil 1/2 hour ago.....Is alert, eating, getting fluids by syringe, +water,esbilac,pedialyte, whatever I can give him. He is willing , got the will to live! hate to stick him again with lac. ringer if he is taking fluids by mouth????? such a sweet fellow.

LynninIN
02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
:thinking Nibbles has diarrhea now. within a 1/2 hour, from hard to soft to liquid! Been on yogurt the last few days......had a shot this morning of kenalog and penicillin from vet, plus fluids. Just gave him his 1cc amoxil 1/2 hour ago.....Is alert, eating, getting fluids by syringe, +water,esbilac,pedialyte, whatever I can give him. He is willing , got the will to live! hate to stick him again with lac. ringer if he is taking fluids by mouth????? such a sweet fellow.
I'm not great with animals but in humans one of the common side effects to penicillin is diarrhea.

C*ndy
02-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Lynn and you are right as it is with my boy here. I do think he will pull through this. As I write he is much more alert than I have seen him in the last few days. Except for the diarrhea, looks like things are on the up. I was going to go out and get some immodium as per Mars' suggestion, but I am seeing changes by the minute with him. 45 minutes ago, liquid, white, milky looking poop, and just now he had a more consistent BM, same color though. Wish it were me instead of him!

Critter_Queen
02-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I would not suggest any more sub-q fluids. I believe that should be reserved for when a critter is so dehydrated or wounded they can't take fluids orally. It sounds as though Nibbles is alert and hungry. I would give LR orally for a couple of feedings, or Pedialyte...no Esbilac or anything else...then slowly begin to add Esbilac with the fluids until you get back up to full strength formula. The process could easily take a day or more.

Feeding too often will cause stools to soften.

How old is Nibbles? Why is he on meds? Did you continue to give yogurt with the meds? Antibiotics will throw off the good bacteria in their system...live culture yogurt can help that.

I get the runs from some antibiotics, too...so it could be just that. Hopefully some yogurt will help.

GhosTS
02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
It usual to get diarrhea after an antibiotic treatment.You will have to keep it in control.Do you have bene-bac.Yogurt will also help.But Bene-bac is the staight thing.:) ..Also another thing to remember is..Do not overfeed him.overfeeding is one of the most common cause of death in baby squirrels.

myflyer
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
go to feeding ONLY 50% esiblac 50% pedialite and cut out any solids. You may want to add 1 part heavy whipping cream to the equation if his weight is down. 1 cc of anti-diaharrea with the formula for 2 feedings straight as well-after the two feedings check the stool and see if there is any change. If he is taking fluid orally no sub-q. Also change all of the bedding when there is any fecal matter on it. If after this treatment he still has diaharea it may be parasitic/bacterial activity.

Yes-antibiotics will irritate the squirts even more.

Critter_Queen
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
go to feeding ONLY 50% esiblac 50% pedialite and cut out any solids. You may want to add 1 part heavy whipping cream to the equation if his weight is down. 1 cc of anti-diaharrea with the formula for 2 feedings straight as well-after the two feedings check the stool and see if there is any change. If he is taking fluid orally no sub-q. Also change all of the bedding when there is any fecal matter on it. If after this treatment he still has diaharea it may be parasitic/bacterial activity.

Yes-antibiotics will irritate the squirts even more.

You would need to know what kind of anti-diarrheal meds it is before giving an entire CC of it. Plain Kaopectate is one thing, Immodium (and others) is totally different. If you give a squirrel a CC of Immodium and you could make him sick.

myflyer
02-05-2007, 01:53 PM
They make an anti-diahrea med for animals, but I can't remember the name of it...

C*ndy
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the concern and advice!!!!!!!!!
I do believe it may be getting under control today! The anitbiotics has been the culprit! Cutting back on the dosage has greatly helped! Thanks Gabe!!
CQ this is an adult squirrel, came in with trauma, and respiratory problems last week. This guy is a different squirrel today! Complete turn around! from sleeping all the time to pacing his small cage, and quite alert!! YAaaaaaaaaay!
Tomorrow he will go out for some sunshine in the larger cage! I ams still concerned about his sight and leg movement, but definitely improving! Thank God I can finally say, we are having sunshine! 2 weeks of rainy cold weather has taken it's toll on me and the animals emotionally!

Momma Squirrel
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
So glad to hear the good news on Nibbles, you are doing a terrific job :thumbsup And I understand the no sunshine in the SUNSHINE state, somethings gotta give, very depressing.

C*ndy
02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
All the ears and concerns of others really encourages me!