PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey- Rehaber needed

Infrania
08-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Two weeks ago I found what I believe is two baby flying squirrels in my back yard. There was a storm the night before and there were a lot of broken branches. I put both of them at the base of the tree. One was much healthier, bigger, and perkier than the other. Periodically I would check on them, by that evening the healthier one was gone and the little guy was left cold and barely moving so I decided to take him in. With the information provided on here I've managed to keep him for the past two weeks and watch him grow. (So thank you for this awesome site/board!!)

Unfortunately, I didn't plan on falling in love with the little fellow, but I know I need to get him to a rehabber. I want to keep him, but I have a scheduled vacation at the end of this week and then I start work again (I have the summers off). I would like to place him with someone that can continue to care for him and perhaps release him. I have plenty of Fox Valley Formula, 3 syringes with nipples, cage, and warmer without an autoshut off and just purchased squirrel growth blocks.

Even if someone is unable to keep him for long term, but can manage a week I will take him back and work my schedule so I can keep until I find him permanent home.

Love this little guy (Spunky is his name) and want the best for him

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated

D'Andra

island rehabber
08-19-2012, 10:16 AM
hi D'Andra...:Welcome and thank you for saving this little one.
Unfortunately we don't have many rehabbers at all in NJ that I know of anymore....would you be willing to travel a bit to get the flyer to someone? I will private message you with a couple of names in Rockland County and also up in Wingdale, NY. It's a longer ride but a beautiful one this time of year. :)

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2012, 11:47 AM
we have a member that may help out...
she is not a rehabber..
I will Private message her to this thread!
:Welcome

I PMed three members near you....hoping someone comes to this thread and can share some info!

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I also have the name of a sq friendly vet in Franklin Lakes..
an hour away...

Foamy the squirrel
08-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I wish I was in NJ

shellyb1018
08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I am in South Jersey, but unfortunately, I dont think I have adequate amount of time to take care of a baby. My son has started working full-time and he was a huge part of the feedings with Skeeter. I know feedings would be about every 2 hours or so, correct? I am not familiar with flyers at all.
I also have a the number to a rehabber in Medford...Cedar Run 856-983-3329
ALSO, in Banesboro area..Vicky Schmidt/rehabilitator...856-468-1484

Please keep us posted on what you find. I would be nervous to take Spunky but if all else fails :dono Trying to think in my brain how I could do something like this.:thinking
I dont know where you are or how far you are from me:thinking

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
thank you for responding shelby..
and thank you for knowing your limitations...
totally understandable!:thumbsup

Infrania
08-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the information given! I really appreciate everyones help! I will definitely figure something out. :thankyou

shellyb1018
08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the information given! I really appreciate everyones help! I will definitely figure something out. :thankyou

PLease give one of the rehabbers I gave you, I am almost sure one of them can help you. :grouphug

Infrania
08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I believe Spunky is 4 to 5 weeks old, weighs 19g. He opened his eyes a few days ago. I feed him now approx every 3 to 4 hours.

Thank you Shelly for considering Spunky, but I understand it takes alot of time and effort

Once again thank you for the information and support! Any information is appreciated!

:thankyou

D'Andra

stepnstone
08-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Just wondering... if your going to be traveling on vacation and would maybe be in an area/State closer to one of our members that could take him?

Infrania
08-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately I'm going to Florida, and I'm flying. I bought the plane tickets before he entered my life. But I am willing to travel into Philadelphia area, Delaware or DC/MD Metro Area to relocate or temporarily house him. At this point I really like him and it hurts to give him up.

My friends and family are skiddish to take him as they describe him as a "flying rat" :(

stepnstone
08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
With you willing to travel hopefully it will generate some help...

stepnstone
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I also have the name of a sq friendly vet in Franklin Lakes..
an hour away...

Maybe this vet could be an option also for you finding a workable rehabber. :dono

Infrania
08-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I found a rehabilitator that is willing to take Spunky. She will rehab him until he is a juvenile and then he can be released in my back yard when he is ready!

Thank you so much for all of the information and support!

You guys Rock!

D:jump :thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
08-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I found a rehabilitator that is willing to take Spunky. She will rehab him until he is a juvenile and then he can be released in my back yard when he is ready!

Thank you so much for all of the information and support!

You guys Rock!

D:jump :thankyou:highfive

stepnstone
08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Very good! :thumbsup
Glad everything worked out. :D

shellyb1018
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
So happy to hear you found someone!! :wahoo
I have been thinking about Spunky since.... :Love_Icon
This is good news to the end of my day :jump

MiriamS
08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Just in case something falls through, I'd happily meet you halfway to take Spunky in. Good luck Spunky and great work Infrania! :thumbsup

bubby
08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Please let me know if I can hep I'm in ct / ny line my name is justin my # is 203-989-2098 I have been taking of squirrels for over 10 years thank you

Infrania
09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to update you on Spunky...she (its a girl! just learned that) is doing well with the Wild Life Rehabber. She is eating fresh veggies/fruit and is healthy. In October the plan will be to release her in my backyard.

This experience has inspired me to train under and learn from the Rehabber so I hopefully can do this formally.

Once again thank you for all your support and information provided on this board.

D

island rehabber
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
What a great post! And you're going to become a rehabber - :wott
New Jersey has an excellent WL program, in my opinion, far better than New York's. You have training and apprenticeships and really need to KNOW something before they hand you a license. Great job D, and good luck!