PDA

View Full Version : baby refused formula

Wonkawillie
08-16-2012, 08:07 AM
HMMMMMM, I am puzzled on this one.
I have a baby here that appears to be 5-6 weeks. eyes open and has bottom teeth, tail not fluffy. Came to me very thin and very dehydrated. Got him all hydrated and perked up, and have been feeding him GM formula for 36 hours now. I got a weight on him when he was brought to me and he was 100 grams. My kids asked why his head looked strange but it was just cuz he was so thin that his scull looked big.
Anyway, he has been eating well. I have given him 5-6 cc of formula every 2-3 hours to try and get him some weight back. he ate eagerly and as usual, I had to hold him back from sucking down the whole thing too fast. he goes pee pee really well and after about 23 hours and 6-7 feedings later, he finally pooped. This looked normal, little moist gold balls. he has really come to life, and is actually a bit scared of me at times.
I let him go through the night with no food, as I had really been pushing it to him during the day ( he gained 10 grams in 23 hours the first day), and I wanted him to fully digest by morning. I expected a starving little boy this am, and he refused to eat. Licked a little, refused, licked a little and refused. Formula was nice and warm, but not too hot. he may have gotten a few ccs in him but with all the fussing I think I wiped most of that off his face!
he does not click or act sick. he is full of energy and feels strong compared to the first day with him.
I had just come inside from feeding one of my releases that was at my doorstep today with what looks like an abcess on her face!, So I had some rat block in my pocket. For the heck of it I put one in the bed with this fussy baby and he was very interested in that! grinding some off with his bottem teeth and grumbled at me a bit when I put my hand in there! I guess I will just try him again with the formula in a hour or two?

pappy1264
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
How is his hydration? With his eyes open, is there a reason you are not using fv? Try putting some formula in a dish with his blocks, soak them in it, actually, and see if he will nibble that, too.

Wonkawillie
08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Actaully I tried feeding him later ( just one hour later) and he sucked it down like always. he has been drinking really great all day. been pooping a lot too.
Put him on the scale 48 hours after I got him today and he has gained 50 grams!!!!!!!!! I kid you not, he was 100 grams of dehydrated baby when I got him on the scale, and got a weight on him at 24 hours and he was up 20 grams, and now he has gained 50 grams. he looks like a totally differant guy.
I thought I had a whole new bag of FV on hand, but I did not, I had an unopened can of goat milk mower and I always have yogurt on hand and just bought some heavy cream to make a cake. So this is what he is getting for now.
I did have some trouble with FV in the past, but I am going to get some on order so I can mix it in with the goat milk.