PDA

View Full Version : litter training?

Carlala
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
so i have a friend who has an opossum and hers is litter trained. is it possible to litter train a baby squirrel?

Foamy the squirrel
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
ohh i hope so that be great ...

Rhapsody
08-16-2012, 12:09 AM
No, you cannot litter train a squirrel like you can an opossum, but you can watch your squirrel and see what corner or section of the cage it prefers to eliminate at and then place a small receiving blanket down there that you can replace on a daily basis.

I generally just place pre-cut fleece on the bottom of my squirrel cages and replace them every other day to help cut down on the smell and to keep the cage clean for the squirrels.

SmokeyMcPot
08-16-2012, 12:46 AM
It depends on the squirrel i reckon.

I have a friend with a litter-trained squirrel.

Like Rhapsody said, they have a specific area they relieve themselves in, its the same concept as litter training a rat. You find the corner and put a litter box of some sort in it. You have to place their poop in the litter box. Once using it turns into a habit they'll start using one around the house too; if you let them run around the house...

Rhapsody
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Please keep in mind...... that we do not use cat litter or puppy pads with squirrels as they tend to dig, scratch and chew any thing they can get their hands own and then they will eat the material which will only create a dangerous if not fatal situation for the squirrel.

SmokeyMcPot
08-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Yep.

Thank god for edible litter (;

ardiesmom
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I have a 6 month old grey squirrel. He is trained to pee in a ferret litter box. i do not use litter, and I wash the litter box out/ dry it a few times a day. I started training him as a baby. 10 minuets or so after he had his milk i would put him in the litter box until he went. he didn't much enjoy the process at first, and it was a hard battle, but i rewarded him after he completed the task.