PDA

View Full Version : New here.

sandy-squirrel
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi. I found this board after finding a baby squirrel. I have found it to be quite valuable.
We have been "raising" Sandy (my daughter named her), since Friday morning. IN that time I have soaked up all of the info I could find. I had never expected to be raising a squirrel but she was cold and helpless when she was discovered.

My neighbor contacted fish and wildlife and was told that our options were to leave it there to die or to drown it in order to be sure she wasn't suffering :(
I obviously couldn't do either of these things.
Looks like we are in it for the long haul!
:Love_Icon

Mochi&Mocha
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
:Welcome Pictures are a must on here! :)

Sweet Simon's Mommy
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi :Welcome

So glad you saved her!! if you cant post a picture you can email it to me...
elgara53@cfl.rr.com
then we can then figure out how old it is . Trust me ...many of us started out the exact same way :D
What are you feeding her right now?

stacia
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Welcome,:Welcome I love the name. I have daughters too. You got to love Sponge Bob. :wave123

sandy-squirrel
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I started her with esibilac (after the pedialyte) but switched to the goat milk formula after finding it here. Her bottom teeth have broken through so I was guessing 3.5 weeks or so. My husband went out and bought a gram scale but it is not digital :( It appears to say she weighs about 60 grams.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/3littlecuties/0812121057a.jpg

I will get some better pictures uploaded later. I just sent this from my phone.

Skul
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Your age guess is pretty darn close.
I'd think closer to 17-18 days, at the very most, due to weight and apperance.
In about two weeks, her eyes will start to open, then the real fun starts.:D

rygel1hardt
08-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Here is a listing for Vermont rehabbers, in case you need it.
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Vendors_and_Sources/Wildlife_Rehabilitator_Locator_Map_and_Public_list .pdf

sandy-squirrel
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks all.

Chickenlegs
08-15-2012, 06:27 PM
She's BEEEEEEEEUTIFUL! And what a time you're in for! Thank you for NOT choosing options A or B. Option C (raising that little girl and watching her grow into a big girl squirrel) will keep you in smiles always. Besides--after your first baby squirrel, NOTHING is daunting!

CrazySquirrelLady
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
GOOD LUCK....

I am SOO Jealous! I wish it were mine.....

You are in for some fun.