PDA

View Full Version : Am I feeding babies enough?

sadie7684
08-01-2012, 05:41 AM
I believe that by the way their ears, fuzziness and teeth goes...my babies are about 3 weeks old. Ophelia weighs 45 grams and Jonah weighs 51 grams. I was told in this post http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35253 that is the weight for a younger baby. Forgot to mention that they are baby greys.

I was feeding them Esbilac as I had mentioned but switched over to FV this past Saturday. By the looks of them they are doing much better since the switch! They go to the bathroom after every feeding and their poop looks much better.

I was also wondering if I should be mixing some yogurt in with their formula.

Anyway, the are eating 3 cc's every 3-3.5 hours...is that enough? And if I'm doing something wrong, please point me in the right direction. I love these little ones so much and I just want to do right by them. :)

island rehabber
08-01-2012, 07:10 AM
That amount sounds perfect: we try to feed 5-7% of body weight. A shortcut to that is to take their weight, drop the last number and take half of the number remaining. So in the case of a 45g baby, you drop the 5 and take half of four, which is 2. Your babies are eating more than the minimum so that s FINE. As for the every three hours, are their poops golden yellow or even orangey? If so, that's perfect. If they get pale yellow or whitish, the babies are not given enough time to digest between meals. Leave a longer time in between, like 3.5hrs or 4, if that happens. :thumbsup

I add nothing to my FV unless I have a failure-to-thrive baby, in which case I use their Ultra Boost product. :)

sadie7684
08-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks Island Rehabber! I guess maybe I just worry too much!

There poops look like little gold nuggets ;)

So, in your opinion, things are going good for them?

pappy1264
08-01-2012, 07:18 AM
They will catch up, FV works really well and as long as they are digesting it well, stick with it.

sadie7684
08-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Thank you Pappy!

island rehabber
08-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks Island Rehabber! I guess maybe I just worry too much!

There poops look like little gold nuggets ;)

So, in your opinion, things are going good for them?
Perfect! So as we say in da Bronx, "If it ain't busted, don't be fixin' it."
:rotfl:rotfl