PDA

View Full Version : Possible mange?

DubShack
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I've got a new girl in the yard, she doesn't come back when I feed her like the others, but I've seen her twice... She's got two, what appear to be bald spots on her back. I'm not sure if this is mange or what. It looks like the hair is gone, but the skin is dark, kind of the same gray color as the hair around it. (I could be missing something, my eyesite isn't great... Everytime I see her though I don't have my camera available) I'll try to snap pictures if I can, but if it is mange and I can somehow catch her, is there anything I can do about it?

Over the past few weeks I've been making plans for a temporary housing/release squirrel cage (you know, just in case ;)) and probably within the next few weeks I should have the materials necessary to complete it. My thinking is, while I'm certainly no rehabber, there is enough info amongst you guys that there might be SOME things I could do for them, and even though it isn't exactly legal in Washington to possess a wild animal... Well screw them, if I see a hurt animal I'm at least gonna trie and do something about it. (granted within reason-my intention isn't exactly to subvert the law or harm any animal, just to do what I can)

Mars
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
First try and get us pictures. It may be dark with new fur growth. Perhaps she had a fight or a narrow escape and what you are seeing is where she is healing. Mange can be treated but it is not something to try at home. I would highly recommend working with a local rehabber as the medicine must be dosed properly or it could end up killing the squirrel.

Good luck getting the pictures and we will go from there and see what we can do to help the little one.

squirrelfriend
02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
I think it sounds like possible shedding and regrowth of hair. Photos would help a lot though. Please post pictures as soon as you can. I hope your little guy is ok after all.

Critter_Queen
02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Could be a lot of things...but I would say most likely it's from a fight or fall or near-miss with another critter or something... If you can watch her for a week or so and the spots look the same or better, its not mange. Mange will make her nearly bald fairly quickly...

But, mange is very treatable...you just need a vet to dispense/dose it for you.

Keep an eye on her and get some pics if you can...hopefully she's just fine and is skittish because of whatever caused her spots.

Mrs. Jack
02-01-2007, 09:39 AM
There's been a lot of squabbling at my house lately Dubshack, new guys showing up and everyone grouchy.. it's possible she's gotten into a few tussles.