PDA

View Full Version : Hurt toe baby

Stephanie K Zon
03-31-2006, 08:25 AM
well her toe is doing better .zI think we are going to be able to save it now I am having trouble with bloat I thought if they were full there bellys would be fat well I was looking on the site andit looks like I am feeding to much I am feeeding with a 1.oocc and she eats about 3or4 of them and some prdialyte so if you have ant advice thank you Stephanie K zon:thankyou

island rehabber
03-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Stephanie, if she is taking the puppy formula well, there is no need for Pedialyte. Pedialyte is a temporary treatment for dehydration or when switching a baby squirrel over from its mother's milk to formula -- it is not necessary to keep giving it to her and maybe is the cause of bloat. Please be careful -- I lost a baby squirrel to bloat -- it's serious. (Chris and others, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

rygel1hardt
03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Island rehabber you are correct. Pedialyte is only for rehydrating and is only supposed to be used for a twentyfour hour period or less. If this baby is still dehydrated then at this point I would just dilute the formula for a few feeds and work my way back up to full strength. We need to know how old this baby is and what it weighs to know about how much it should be eating. Good luck and im so glad you are asking questions there are some great and experienced rehabbers here that are always happy to help.

Stephanie, if she is taking the puppy formula well, there is no need for Pedialyte. Pedialyte is a temporary treatment for dehydration or when switching a baby squirrel over from its mother's milk to formula -- it is not necessary to keep giving it to her and maybe is the cause of bloat. Please be careful -- I lost a baby squirrel to bloat -- it's serious. (Chris and others, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Stephanie K Zon
04-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Oh thank you I will stop the pedialyte what would I do with out you. I would hate to lose her over something so stupid as to feed her something wrong. Her foot is doing so much better her toe is going to make it thank god thoughs Vets are expensive.I have her on just the esbilac now but I am making it weak she just opened her one eye last night when I got her she still had her nable cord on and no hair now she has hair and her eyes are starting to open and we are still not out of the woods it could change in a second that is why I'm so scared of lossing her still I still have so many questions I get so over whelmed on this computor because I don't know if my messages ever get there or not and when they do I get excited and forget every thing I was doing. Oh if they have bloat how do I know if that is what it is? She is always fatter after I feed her and it goes away after about an hour or two and she is ready to eat again I never know when to stop feeding her some times I think she could pop and I quit even if she acts like she is hungery she eats about 3 syringes of 1.00cc and some times she is still hungery and I have her off the antibotics right now but she is quite when I hold her up to my ear. How long wil it be befor you can kind of quiot worring about if your doing every thing right and they are going to make it about how old will shw be? hank you all for the feed back Take care and god bless stephanie:thankyou

rygel1hardt
04-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey Stephanie
Great job so far in getting her to this point! If we are talking about a grey squirrel and she just opened her eyes she is right on five weeks. If she is a flyer she is four weeks old. If she is a grey squirrel she would be taking in about 10cc or more at a feeding and you can use 3cc syringes if you can control the flow so she doesnt get to much to quickly. She should have a minimum of three hours between feedings for digestion and should be able to sleep through the night now with feedings about 10pm. and again about 7am. If she is a flyer she should still have a minimum of three hours between feeds and should take in anywhere from 1 to 3 ccs at a feed. At about this age I start putting rat block and a slice of apple or orange and some cheerios in their enclosure to start them munching on solids. When I give fruit or veges I usually peel them until the babies are older so they dont choke on the peeling. Good luck and keep us posted.

Stephanie K Zon
04-02-2006, 08:36 AM
:thankyou rygelhart, for your reply cause I can use all the help I can get. well she is doing good this morrning. eyes open and wanting to realy move around now and her sleeping arangment has to change now.I have an old bird cage that I'm going to try and use, am I on the right track or not? I am still having a proublem with trying to feed her I can't seem to find the right syringe The little 1cc seems to be the best not to chock her but you can only use them 1 or 2 times then they stick and you can't make them work after that and now I'm so scared of choking her and the little ones are the only one that puts a little in there mounths so they don't choke. It is to early in the morrning for me still I have been feeding her every 2 hours oh can you feed them apple juice weakened with water? and do you think the mom will take her back if I put her in the cage and the mommy will see her and come and get her? well i better close for now I'm sitting here falling to sleep will write more later and see what else I can learn thank you so much Stephanie:thankyou

rygel1hardt
04-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Stephanie
You still have not stated what kind of squirrel you are raising. It will help to better be able to give you advice. This baby is old enough to only be fed every four hours and you are not helping her by feeding her every two hours. She cant digest the formula that quickly and you are putting new formula over old and she may end up getting sick from it. You need O ring syringes as they dont wear out as quickly and give the formula smoothly instead of sticking. You can get them from Chris's squirrel store. If you have the O ring syringes you should be able to use a 5cc by now at this babies age unless your baby is a flyer then just stick with the 1cc syringe but definately get some O ring ones. Chris should be able to get some to you quickly. This baby will need a large cage now to climb around in and build muscle so the bigger the better. She should have access to a water bottle soon and have rat block and peeled fruit slices like apple or orange to nibble on. She can also have an occasional 1/4 pecan to nibble on but dont over due the nuts as they will eat them and not the other stuff. I would NOT give juice as it is even thinner than the formula and would be more of a choking hazard. Just give her the fruit slices that will do the job. No the mother will not take her back after all this time and I wouldnt even try it. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Stephanie K Zon
04-04-2006, 04:37 PM
rygel1hart thank you so much for answering back I had a had time finding where to go back to find if any one answered back to me:dono So I will go get the stuff to build a cage. How big is big? I have lots of pets and having a hard time her not seeing the dogs and I don't want her used to them and her teeth how do you know if they are to long? She seems to chock on just a little of the formula and I turn her up side down so it will drain out but it scares me every time. I read some where about there teeth getting to long I look at her with a high power magnifing glass and her teeth are see though at the tips and they are very long and if she bites you ,you can feel it belive that ha ha boy this is harder than having a real baby but it is fun learning hope I do it all right and she grows up strong. With every ones help out there she will thank god for the computor or I wouldn't be able tohave this help and people like you . thanks Stephanie Oh and I did talk to Cris and she is sending me a syring I can't wait tillit gets here hope it helps my feeding proublem.:thankyou