PDA

View Full Version : Capstar

stepnstone
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Any suggestions on who has the best prices on capstar? PetSmart don't have it.

BTW admin... The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Specific Ailment Information > Flees :rotfl

island rehabber
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Chris's squirrelsandmore.com usually has it.
yeah, the FLEES....and the system won't let me correct it! Can't fix "New Tread" either....:soapbox

stepnstone
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
O.k. got it, thanks IR!
Next question... Someone on here recently mentioned obtaining revolution without a script, anyone recall?

Here's my situation... 2 Yorkies, 4 & 6 lbs. 1 Lab approx 80-85 lbs.
3 cats, 1 @ 8lbs. 1 @ 14 lbs. 1 @ 18 lbs. Annie as of 6/29 - 636 grms.

Been using Frontline, used to work fine, now it's crap! Might as well be putting water on them. We have bathed them, brushed them out, treated them, the house, the yard (severn) and we/they are lucky if we get 10 days releif.
What I'd like to do is use capstar to kill what's crawling, bathe and comb them out. Treat the house and yard again and get a product that's going to actually work. Taking all these animals to the vet to get scripts is not an option.
Have not seen fleas on Annie but she does scratch and I don't know how she could not have them. I will also need a dose/breakdown on the capstar for her.

I'm desperate here folks! I'm vacuming everyday and doing so much laundry because of them I think my voice is changing... :help

Rhapsody
07-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Just do a Google search for "Kitten Stronghold No Prescription Required" and you
will find a website or two that sells them for around $30 for 3 pks in the UK.

CritterMom
07-05-2012, 03:01 AM
http://www.joespetmeds.com/

Jackie in Tampa
07-05-2012, 08:09 AM
what works is Trifexis and Comfortis..
even revolution is crap anymore...the resistance in pesticides keeps climbing...
I used comfortis {no heartworm medication included} on Fido and will swear by it...
they're both also Rx.

Jackie in Tampa
07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
any vet will sell you Capstar...one tablet or an entire sheet...
no Rx is needed.
Feed stores will have it, Tractor Supply may??
Most pet stores do carry it too..
it's relatively cheap.:thumbsup

Sweet Simon's Mommy
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I have two Maltese...one is 12 lbs..one is 3 lbs.
The 12lb is allergic to ALL flea products.
every week
...........put down Adams flea powder into the carpet ( just bed rooms , the rest of the house is tile) ,sweep in , then vacuum 30 minutes later.
..........wash both dogs with dawn
..........place all bedding in dryer for 15 minutes, everyday( you don't have to wash , heat kills just fine) and vacuum. ( place flea collar or flea powder into vacuum bags so they dont just jump out
..........Spray around the house and front door and back doors every 2 weeks with either bayer or ortho ( I alternate)
Its a lot of work but it is working, fleas are very bad this year, I still seem some , at least I am keeping it in check , not over run.
Also garlic and brewers yeast tablets in the dogs food help keep them off.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
FLEES don't deserve to be spelled correctly

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and leads. :thumbsup

Yes, fleas are and are going to be really bad this year due to the extreame heat. As for me when I see evidence of even one, it's a problem! I'm not going to be running a bed and breakfast for fleas! If they ain't paying rent they ain't staying! :pissed

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
{cut}
any vet will sell you Capstar...one tablet or an entire sheet... no Rx is needed.

What I'm finding in this area of the (4) vets I've called, if they have not seen your animal they are requiring a full exam on each animal in order to get capstar. Ridicules! :soapbox
Chris's only has it for large animals at this time, I'm not confident on doing/knowing the breakdown. Still searching... :dono

Kelly Brady
07-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey there,

My petsmart sells it, that is where I got capstar but it is expensive and sold in a six pack only.:shakehead
They lock it up and you have to ask for it. Maybe yours does not sell it but may be worth a try to ask.

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Hey there,

My petsmart sells it, that is where I got capstar but it is expensive and sold in a six pack only.:shakehead
They lock it up and you have to ask for it. Maybe yours does not sell it but may be worth a try to ask.

Thanks, it's not on their website but they do carry it, I have called every PetSmart in my county and not one has it in stock. :frustratedx I still have the one you sent me I could use for Annie but it's not going to do much good if I can't get the other's taken care of. :(

CritterMom
07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.petco.com/product/105391/Capstar-Flea-Tablets-for-Pets.aspx?Ntt=capstar&OneResultRedirect=1

Even on sale!

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks Crittermom, unfortunately the only two petco's I know of in our area have closed down with no forwarding location.
I almost had a vet ready to sell it to me, told me to come get it until I said I wanted to treat seven critters, I guess then they saw $$ signs and resorted to the need a exam routine and then told me it was Rx. :pissed

I have managed to find and order it on line from:
http://www.allivet.com/default.aspx

On sale also, shipping is pretty standard and not bad. They are out of Fla. so should not take too long to get here.

Man, has this ever been a frustrating search... :meh

CritterMom
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, good. Just FYI, you can order from Petco's online site, too.

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh, good. Just FYI, you can order from Petco's online site, too.

Thanks! Been too frustrated to even think of that...

I have no problem getting pills down the other critters but I need to know the dose and how do I treat Annie? She weighs 636 grams.

CritterMom
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Here is what I have for Capstar - written for BABIES that come in with maggots...

Use 11.4mg pill. Dissolve 1/4 of a tablet in 1cc of water and administer .01ml per 25 grams of body weight.

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Got it, thanks! :thumbsup

Milo's Mom
07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Step, I have 3 HUGE big box pet store in my immediate area...if you run into not being able to find something again, leave me know and I'll go take a look at my stores. I have a PetSmart, PetCo, & That Pet Place.

stepnstone
07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Step, I have 3 HUGE big box pet store in my immediate area...if you run into not being able to find something again, leave me know and I'll go take a look at my stores. I have a PetSmart, PetCo, & That Pet Place.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
Several different times I have thought to speak with you on things that have come up, must have lost your number on the last computer that got fried.:Cry
:poke ...hint ~ hint :rotfl