PDA

View Full Version : New & With a Couple Questions in Fla.

torpeau
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
My wife and I hand-feed 4 squirrels, but there are several others that are not brave enough to take a peanut out of our hands.

1. While I can spot one or two objects in the oaks near us that are liable to be their nests, either there are many more nests that I don't see or a bunch of squirrels must spend the night in each nest. Typically, how many sleep together?

2. Is it true that raw peanuts are not good for them? We give them roughly 2/3s unsalted roasted and 1/3 raw. I figure some of the raw will produce some plants that could provide them with food. Last year the oaks produce millions of acorns in our neighborhood, but this year there were zero, so we stepped in with the peanuts.

Anne
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Squirrels, especially females, build more than one nest (called dreys). If one drey becomes over run with fleas, etc mama squirrel will move to another.
Raw peanuts are not good for the squirrels, stick with the unsalted, roasted peanuts. They love all nuts-like candy for kids. Pecans and then hazel nuts are their favorites :D .

torpeau
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Squirrels, especially females, build more than one nest (called dreys). If one drey becomes over run with fleas, etc mama squirrel will move to another.

Thanks. How many squirrels spend the night in a drey? Since we see them "arguing" with each other, I doubt if it's many. With the high winds we've had the last few days, I'm surprised that they aren't all dizzy.

Anne
06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Usually one female per drey in the spring and summer time, young males may bunk together but only 2. Squirrels will pack together in winters cold weather to help keep warm. As for the winds-I really believe that the Nursery song "rock-a-bye baby" was written about squirrels.:jump :jump

skarabrae
06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Squirrels will pack together in winters cold weather to help keep warm.

See, that I didn't know! :thumbsup

Sweet Simon's Mommy
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Usually one female per drey in the spring and summer time, young males may bunk together but only 2. Squirrels will pack together in winters cold weather to help keep warm. As for the winds-I really believe that the Nursery song "rock-a-bye baby" was written about squirrels.:jump :jump
Oh Anne ..I love the way you think!!!:thumbsup

Anne
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Oh No you don't SSM! Of all people I have met through the board-you have a sense of humor more like mine than anyone else.:jump :jump I, too, love to find those unusual, fun, etc captioned pictures and off hand signs people internet out! I have a friend up north that got such out of the "Jesus" signs and crosses that I even stopped my truck, stood and the roof and stole one for her!!! I love a good laugh!!!!!!! Did you get my email about You Tube,Twitter and Facebook ? Thought I was going to be tummy muscle crippled for days on that one!

Kelly Brady
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi Torpeau:wave123 Welcome to TSB

It is a great place and so full of information.

May your squirrels be happy and healthy and you too!!!