PDA

View Full Version : Chestnuts good or bad?

Sissy
01-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I saw Italian Chestnuts in the store the other day and was wondering if these are good or bad for a grey squirrel. It's the first time I have noticed them. If they are ok, then I'll go get some for Sissy as a treat. If not, I won't go near them.
Thanks in advance for a response!

Somebody's Mother
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
i don't know about healthwise but chestnuts are one of dinky, my flyers, favorite foods.

island rehabber
01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I saw Italian Chestnuts in the store the other day and was wondering if these are good or bad for a grey squirrel. It's the first time I have noticed them. If they are ok, then I'll go get some for Sissy as a treat. If not, I won't go near them.
Thanks in advance for a response!

Sissy, the Italian chestnuts are OK for squirrels -- greys especially, as mine all loved them. Unfortunately they are often $4.99/lb :sanp3 ! There is a type of wild chestnut that is not good for wildlife or people, but don't be concerned about it because squirrels won't touch them, anyway. They are way smarter than we are in these matters. :D

Mrs. Jack
01-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Mine can't stand them. :/ Raccoon likes them though.

Sissy
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Ok good, thanks for all the info. They are expensive, thats why if I didn't get any. If I do they would only be a once a week treat and maybe only this one time. I just wanted to make sure they weren't toxic or anything. Thanks for the help! Why is it they always like the expensive stuff?????

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
issy, good question I seen them at Christmas and wondered if the gang would like them?

island rehabber
01-28-2007, 04:25 PM
They do go a long way, though...there's so much meat in each one it would take my squirrels a long time to finish. And delicious for us too. Just boil a few in a small pot, with a couple of bay leaves in it, for a half hour or so. What a treat! :thumbsup

Linda
01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Chestnuts are fine. They are expensive because almost all of the native Chestnut trees in North America were killed by a blight. Except for a few pockets of resistant trees, the ones we now have came from China. Used to be able to buy roasted chestnuts on street corners in cities during the fall.

skwerls_R_soft
01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing about chestnuts. I found some of those Italian ones for .99 cents a pound at t ehgrocery store and bought some for Skipper. I think he likes them since they disappear, but maybe he's burying them.
Do you have to roast them before eating them (for humans) ? Anyone know ?

The bay leaf boiling idea sounds interesting. Do you take off teh soft shell first??

Sissy
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Good News! Sissy loves them too. She grabbed one right up, torn the shell off, ate half of it then hid the other half for later. There is alot of meat in them. And they are expensive, but thats ok too. They need spoiling occasionally. Thanks again on all the advice.

squirrelfriend
01-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Mine all love them. I am fortunate and they are only 99 cents at the grocery store right now. One thing to look out for is that they will go moldy within a month or so. keep them very dry. also when picking them choose the ones that are hardest, no holes or tears in the shells. holes could mean bugs and leaves an opening for moisture to get in. the squirrels sure do love them though. Hope yours all enjoy them.

island rehabber
01-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Do you have to roast them before eating them (for humans) ? Anyone know ?

The bay leaf boiling idea sounds interesting. Do you take off teh soft shell first??
SRS you have to cook them in some way before eating them or you will get a tummy ache. You can leave them in the shell but punch a little hole in each one, then put them on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 40mins -- they are delicious that way too. If you boil them you leave the inner shells on, also. (Can you tell we're Italian in this house, LOL... 50 ways to cook a chestnut) My NRBF even microwaves them sometimes and it's like steaming them in their shells, but damn if he doesn't explode one once in awhile. :fireworks I'm too scared to do 'em that way! :rotfl

fotheloveofsquirrels
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
If i freeze them will they still be good for my little flyers to eat. They love them...just wondering if freezing them is a good idea. Will they keep well or just get nausty?